News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Post-Nominal Letters

Started by Savonarola, October 28, 2016, 09:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I have a coworker who always puts PE, MIRSE after his name (Professional Engineer, Member Institute of Rail Signal Engineers) on e-mail.  The latter struck me as a little odd, but "Member" is an actual rank in the IRSE (requires a degree and a job in rail signaling, rather than just sending in a check and getting the membership card.)

I'm curious what post-nominal letters you could use and which ones you do normally use (and what they stand for.)

I could be Savonarola, BSEE MSEE PE (Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, Professional Engineer.)  I don't ever do that, though.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

I guess I could be "Celedhring, BCoMS MFA" (Bachelor in Communications and Media Studies, Master in Fine Arts) but I'd never do that. In fact, I have never seen anybody over here using post-nominals, outside Academia.

Monoriu

If somebody has been awarded some kind of government honours, we civil servants are supposed to put the appropriate letters after his name.  Like xxx, MH (stands for medal of honour, a mid-low level award in HK). 

But most people don't do that.  You are supposed to wait for somebody to put those letters after you, not do it yourself.  And only like 0.1% of the population has those.  Plebs don't have anything to put after our names.  Not that I want any of that. 

I have noticed that engineers love to push the "Ir" designation, modelled after the "Dr" designation for medical doctors. 

CountDeMoney

Plenty of non-academic professionals put their post-nominals in their sigs;  however, the accepted correct practice is to use your highest/terminal and/or specialized degree.

In the cases of you two knuckleheads, Sav would top out at the MS and Cele would just be an MFA, as it is the terminal degree.  Undergraduate titles are unnecessary.  They're already assumed, and besdies, that's just being a douchebag.

Industry-specific professional association certs and titles are only as important as they need to be.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on October 28, 2016, 09:23:57 AM
I have noticed that engineers love to push the "Ir" designation, modelled after the "Dr" designation for medical doctors.

Are you supposed to address him as "Engineer Savonarola" then, the way you'd address Victor Frankenstein, MD as "Dr. Frankenstein"?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Lulz, he thinks he's a lawyer

Barrister, L.L. Cool J.

lustindarkness

HTC(EXW)(Ret), and since I retired before the use of rating change,  I will not change my sig. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Brazen

I think I just got a BSc (Hons) after my name on my graduation congratulations cards :P

I don't have any professional certification, but then I'm an amateur at everything I do.

Syt

The shortest I can do with my degree is "Dipl.-Verwaltungswirt (FH)" which is short for "Diplom-Verwaltungswirt (Fachhochschule)", but I never do. I've never worked in the field, and nobody in Austria (and not many in Germany) know what it is. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: Savonarola on October 28, 2016, 09:33:48 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 28, 2016, 09:23:57 AM

Are you supposed to address him as "Engineer Savonarola" then, the way you'd address Victor Frankenstein, MD as "Dr. Frankenstein"?

I have no idea how to pronounce Ir, so I just ignore it  :blush:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on October 28, 2016, 09:38:33 AM
I think I just got a BSc (Hons) after my name on my graduation congratulations cards :P

I don't have any professional certification, but then I'm an amateur at everything I do.

Nobody needs to know how much I underachieved in life, anyway--and Mom is one too many as it stands.

Grey Fox

TP.

Stand for Professional Technician. Don't use it, no one cares.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 28, 2016, 10:13:24 AM
TP.

Stand for Professional Technician. Don't use it, no one cares.

No, that's not what it stands for, anyway, wipes are better.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2016, 09:32:27 AM
LL.B. 4EVAH

Heh, if we accept the JD designation, can we make people call us "doctor"?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius