News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Jack Chick

Started by Martinus, October 25, 2016, 01:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Personally, I think religion is the junk-food of spirituality. It satisfies an ubiquitous need, is easy to get and does not require much effort but does so in a way that is low nutrition and harmful to your well being. Mysticism and esoterism, on the other hand, is the equivalent of whole-grain home grown slow food. It takes time and effort to properly prepare but the benefits for your well being are much more pronounced. Atheism ls like arguing one should give up on eating because McDonald's is bad for you.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 26, 2016, 12:43:36 PM

even those that dream of slaughtering you?

Yes, even Marty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 26, 2016, 01:08:44 PM

If all religious people were like you, maybe I wouldn't be atheist ;)

Imho, public policies should be decided by the level of knowledge we have today.  That's my problem with religion, were all too often, religious people are against advancing our knowledge.  No matter if it's the present, the not so distant past, or the very long forgotten past, it seems we should be stuck in time at some specific point and stop advancing because we already know everything that is important.

Define "knowledge".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 01:27:05 PM
Personally, I think religion is the junk-food of spirituality. It satisfies an ubiquitous need, is easy to get and does not require much effort but does so in a way that is low nutrition and harmful to your well being. Mysticism and esoterism, on the other hand, is the equivalent of whole-grain home grown slow food. It takes time and effort to properly prepare but the benefits for your well being are much more pronounced. Atheism ls like arguing one should give up on eating because McDonald's is bad for you.

And what kind of food is the thinking man's approach?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on October 26, 2016, 12:19:35 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 12:00:48 PM

All religions are based on some fundamentally absurd and baseless explanations of the nature of the universe. Jack Chick hating Catholics is just part of his unfounded, irrational belief system. When I dismiss religious people, even if they target other religious peoples' ridiculous views, I come from a position of rationality, science and skepticism.

What's fundamentally absurd and baseless about Taoism or Buddhism?

Taoism and Buddhism are like Pret-a-Manger and Whole Foods. It is better than McDonald's but is still a chain. :P

Barrister

:lmfao:

You are so full of shit Marty. Don't ever change. :hug:

One of the awesome things about Christianity it is as deep, or as shallow, as you want it to be.  If (in a Polish context) you just want to go to Mass on Sunday, receive communion and then go on your way the rest of the week you can do that.  If you want to be more intellectual you can study the history and interpretation of the texts.  If you want to be more philosophical you can read the generations of Christian philosophers and theologians.  And yes, if you want to be more mystical  there is a lengthy Christian tradition of that as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2016, 01:31:34 PM

I think some sort of a critical, empirical approach to spirituality. Check out what is out there, try everything, see what works for you, always question your assumptions. I think it is a deeply human need to reach for transcendence - without it, life is semi-empty. Just don't be a sheep.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2016, 01:33:43 PM

:lmfao:

You are so full of shit Marty. Don't ever change. :hug:

One of the awesome things about Christianity it is as deep, or as shallow, as you want it to be.  If (in a Polish context) you just want to go to Mass on Sunday, receive communion and then go on your way the rest of the week you can do that.  If you want to be more intellectual you can study the history and interpretation of the texts.  If you want to be more philosophical you can read the generations of Christian philosophers and theologians.  And yes, if you want to be more mystical  there is a lengthy Christian tradition of that as well.

Fair enough. I think you can be a Christian mystic - many were. But then for some people (yours truly, for example), Christianity doesn't work as available in the socio-cultural context. So you need to look out for other things. Freemasonry, occultism, Buddhism, mysticism etc. I think we should look out for what works for us rather than settling for the "biggest circus in town".

Edit: Also: some of my best friends are deeply devout Christians. ;)

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 01:34:22 PM

I think some sort of a critical, empirical approach to spirituality. Check out what is out there, try everything, see what works for you, always question your assumptions. I think it is a deeply human need to reach for transcendence - without it, life is semi-empty. Just don't be a sheep.

Transcendence? For adults?

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2016, 01:38:00 PM

Yup. It's the highest level of Maslov's hierarchy. I found it deeply lacking when I hit 35 or so.

I'm now almost 39 and I'm a much happier individual.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 01:40:56 PM

Yup. It's the highest level of Maslov's hierarchy. I found it deeply lacking when I hit 35 or so.

:lol: OK gay hippie!

Hamilcar

Christianity in its various flavors is just so obviously man-made and obsesses over truly parochial concerns. Take a step back, and you can see how ridiculous it is.

Berkut

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 12:13:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2016, 12:10:47 PM
You know, Jack Chick felt his views were completely rational as well, and could source just about anything he said to an appropriate Bible quotation.

The real similarity between the two of you is your absolute certainty in the correctness of your world view, and the inability give any credit or sympathy to the views of others.

Oh, stop it with the postmodern drivel. There is zero similarity between Chick's views and mine. Why? My world view is subject to revision given new and better data. Error correction if you will. Chick just has a book he thinks was written by the Creator of the Universe.

But if that book WAS so written, then his absolute faith in it is perfectly rational.

That is the entire problem with beebs insistence that we should just treat this all the same. It is NOT all the same.

If I truly believed that an apostate might possibly damn my child to an eternity of torment, there is no possible action I can take that is rationally beyond the pale to fight that danger. You cannot start with a irrational premise that results in infinite possible harm and NOT end up with radicalism.

Jack Chick's entire world view and actions make perfect, rational sense given one basic irrational assumption and the beliefs that follow from it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2016, 01:43:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 01:40:56 PM

:lol: OK gay hippie!

:P

I think the camaraderie and spiritual connection aspects of this are quite valuable.

What I protest against is people lazily defaulting to their socio-cultural choice, especially if they then seek to impose their spiritual values on others.

The Brain

Now I'm hungry. Thanks Mart.