And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Jack Chick

Started by Martinus, October 25, 2016, 01:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2016, 08:14:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2016, 07:55:57 AM
(and is a typical talking point of the New Athiest movement)?

I don't get it. It is kind of a joke they use but a talking point?

I mean I hate mass murderers and Fred Phelps hated mass murderers who were also gay so therefore Fred Phelps and I had a lot in common.

So, yes you and Fred Phelps did have a lot in common regarding criminal offenses.  Presumably, Fred Phelps and I agreed quite a bit on the criminal code.  Theft, murder, rape, etc.  But we were talking about religious viewpoints.  Hamilcar has expressed hatred for all religions.  Jack Chick expressed hatred for all religions except one.  I on the other hand, have nothing but love and happy fielding for the rest of humanity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2016, 10:07:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2016, 08:14:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2016, 07:55:57 AM
(and is a typical talking point of the New Athiest movement)?

I don't get it. It is kind of a joke they use but a talking point?

I mean I hate mass murderers and Fred Phelps hated mass murderers who were also gay so therefore Fred Phelps and I had a lot in common.

So, yes you and Fred Phelps did have a lot in common regarding criminal offenses.  Presumably, Fred Phelps and I agreed quite a bit on the criminal code.  Theft, murder, rape, etc.  But we were talking about religious viewpoints.  Hamilcar has expressed hatred for all religions.  Jack Chick expressed hatred for all religions except one.  I on the other hand, have nothing but love and happy fielding for the rest of humanity.

Rurik-lover. <_<
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2016, 10:07:14 AM
happy fielding

Been staying up late watching the world series?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Hamilcar

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2016, 07:54:12 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 01:41:40 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2016, 06:40:16 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 25, 2016, 05:16:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2016, 05:00:56 PM
I think I do.

I'll bite: how do I have anything in common with a group of deluded people attacking other people over minor details of their delusions?

I stated that already.  Anti-Catholic.  A person with contempt for all religions differs from a person who has contempt for all religions but his own by hatred of only one religion.  So really, you only differ over the issue of one faith out of thousands.  On the others you are in agreement.

You don't see the crucial difference between the two?

No, I don't why don't you spell it out for me.

All religions are based on some fundamentally absurd and baseless explanations of the nature of the universe. Jack Chick hating Catholics is just part of his unfounded, irrational belief system. When I dismiss religious people, even if they target other religious peoples' ridiculous views, I come from a position of rationality, science and skepticism.

The Brain

It's not where you come from, it's where you're headed.

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2016, 12:01:52 PM
It's not where you come from, it's where you're headed.

Whatever, Dollar Store Confucius.

LaCroix

hamil, your belief in rationality and science is a religion, and therefore tribes, tribes everywhere

etc., etc.

The Brain

Something something Ed Harris.

Hamilcar

Quote from: LaCroix on October 26, 2016, 12:04:57 PM
hamil, your belief in rationality and science is a religion, and therefore tribes, tribes everywhere

etc., etc.

Yes, everything is just texts and their readings, there is no objective reality, life sucks, I'll go slit my wrists in a warm bath as I sip some cheap Côtes du Rhône.

Barrister

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 12:00:48 PM
I think I do.

I'll bite: how do I have anything in common with a group of deluded people attacking other people over minor details of their delusions?

I stated that already.  Anti-Catholic.  A person with contempt for all religions differs from a person who has contempt for all religions but his own by hatred of only one religion.  So really, you only differ over the issue of one faith out of thousands.  On the others you are in agreement.

All religions are based on some fundamentally absurd and baseless explanations of the nature of the universe. Jack Chick hating Catholics is just part of his unfounded, irrational belief system. When I dismiss religious people, even if they target other religious peoples' ridiculous views, I come from a position of rationality, science and skepticism.

You know, Jack Chick felt his views were completely rational as well, and could source just about anything he said to an appropriate Bible quotation.

The real similarity between the two of you is your absolute certainty in the correctness of your world view, and the inability give any credit or sympathy to the views of others.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2016, 12:10:47 PM
I think I do.

You know, Jack Chick felt his views were completely rational as well, and could source just about anything he said to an appropriate Bible quotation.

The real similarity between the two of you is your absolute certainty in the correctness of your world view, and the inability give any credit or sympathy to the views of others.

:D

Hamilcar

Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2016, 12:10:47 PM

Oh, stop it with the postmodern drivel. There is zero similarity between Chick's views and mine. Why? My world view is subject to revision given new and better data. Error correction if you will. Chick just has a book he thinks was written by the Creator of the Universe.

Razgovory

I think I do.

:lol:  Okay.  I'm sure all Logical Positivists feel that way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on October 26, 2016, 12:04:57 PM

etc., etc.

As both a religious person and an engineer I don't see how that is true. But man do I get that alot: Science is wrong because QUANTUM MECHANICS.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

What's fundamentally absurd and baseless about Taoism or Buddhism?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius