News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Jack Chick

Started by Martinus, October 25, 2016, 01:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Listen to Minsky. If anyone got God right, it's the Jews.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 26, 2016, 04:08:50 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 02:37:18 PM
  How about this old trope: can your god make a rock so heavy that he can't lift it?

Yes.  And then he'd lift it just the same.
This is like a atheist's Anselm's Proof.  Argument by semantics.

Yeah, I never really found that argument that interesting. It amounts to saying "Can you do something that you cannot do?"

There are pretty obvious logical problems with the concept of omnipotence, and the idea of a God, but the fact that we can semantically define impossible issues isn't one of them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Hamilcar

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2016, 04:17:44 PM
There are pretty obvious logical problems with the concept of omnipotence, and the idea of a God, but the fact that we can semantically define impossible issues isn't one of them.

Really? I think this is at the core of the issue. An omnipotent being just creates increasing depths of logical contradictions and puzzles that make the faithful resort to the idiocy of Tertullian's "I believe because it is absurd."

Martinus

Tertulian is right though. A God that can be described by any term is not the opposite of that term - therefore is not truly a God.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 04:10:52 PM
Listen to Minsky. If anyone got God right, it's the Jews.

They certainly have reached exquisite heights of dissembling and rationalization trying to adhere to incoherent and barbaric rules in a world that has since advanced in ethics, science and... pretty much everything.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 01:43:26 PM
Christianity in its various flavors is just so obviously man-made and obsesses over truly parochial concerns. Take a step back, and you can see how ridiculous it is.

Is this a scientific answer?  If so, please show your work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 02:11:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2016, 02:09:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 02:05:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2016, 02:03:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2016, 01:57:23 PM
The thing is - once you accept the fundamental message that Jesus was the Son of God who died for our sins, it quite frankly opens up a lot more questions from there.  If God exists why is there evil in the world?  Are Christians required to keep kosher?  So what day of the week is the sabbath?  How exactly do we organize God's Church here on earth?

Questions that generally end with, oh that myth my parents told me about might not be true.

True. But life without myth is very dull and boring one. The trick is to find your own life's myth. This doesn't even have to be overtly spiritual. It could be a belief in humanism, or social and political activism, or even your kids. Cynical life is unbearable. Just be careful you don't fall into a crusading mode.

So not believing a myth = cynicism?

Yeah. If you have nothing that makes you get up in the morning, then what's the point of living?

Incidentally, I don't see the concept of myth in any negative way.

So you can't have a reason to get up in the morning without myth?

I'm not saying myth is a negative thing, I just think you are stretching the definition to its breaking point if it covers all things that make you want to live life.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2016, 04:44:28 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 01:43:26 PM
Christianity in its various flavors is just so obviously man-made and obsesses over truly parochial concerns. Take a step back, and you can see how ridiculous it is.

Is this a scientific answer?  If so, please show your work.

It's just stupid
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on October 26, 2016, 02:43:44 PM
like religion, science isn't meant to be questioned

???
Thy are nothing alike.
Religion provides accounts and a set of beliefs that are taken as given.  The scientific method takes nothing as given other than the fact of the appearance of certain perceptible phenomena.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 04:28:02 PMThey certainly have reached exquisite heights of dissembling and rationalization trying to adhere to incoherent and barbaric rules in a world that has since advanced in ethics, science and... pretty much everything.

Which explains the lack of famous Jewish scientists? :hmm:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 04:23:35 PM
Really? I think this is at the core of the issue. An omnipotent being just creates increasing depths of logical contradictions and puzzles that make the faithful resort to the idiocy of Tertullian's "I believe because it is absurd."

So then I define "omnipotence" to mean the power to do anything that does not involve logical contradiction.
Yeah, problem solved by definition!
--Joan Robinson

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 26, 2016, 05:22:14 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 04:28:02 PMThey certainly have reached exquisite heights of dissembling and rationalization trying to adhere to incoherent and barbaric rules in a world that has since advanced in ethics, science and... pretty much everything.

Which explains the lack of famous Jewish scientists? :hmm:

It's great training for science and many other intellectual pursuits. But you know that.

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 26, 2016, 05:20:01 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on October 26, 2016, 02:43:44 PM
like religion, science isn't meant to be questioned

???
Thy are nothing alike.
Religion provides accounts and a set of beliefs that are taken as given.  The scientific method takes nothing as given other than the fact of the appearance of certain perceptible phenomena.

:unsure: