Thousands of Cali. soldiers forced to repay enlistment bonuses a decade later

Started by jimmy olsen, October 24, 2016, 06:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on October 26, 2016, 08:38:43 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 25, 2016, 08:32:02 AM
I can't imagine how this can possibly be coming to light now, weeks before the election.

Kind of surprised neither candidate is jumping on it, in fact.

Trump could get some more "I am so super pro-military! Our military will be bestest!" by announcing that under his reign, no soldier will be asked to repay a loan, and Clinton could get some much needed military cred by announcing that she thinks this is terrible and a mistake made by the government and she will make sure to squash any such attempts to collect on these payments.

In either case, it is kind of surprising to me this hasn't come up almost immediately on the campaign trail...

Given the article indicates that the situation is local to California, would it actually have any effect out-of-State if either candidate weighed in?

In State, as I understand it, California's chance of voting for Trump is about the same as the chance of intelligent Martians being proven to exist. Hilary's got no need to spend precious time and dollars on the issue and Trump wouldn't get a return worth the time and dollars spent on the issue.

Well yes, they would have to generalise the issue in order to use it as ammunition.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

So was this decision made without his approval? Who does make decisions like this?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2016, 10:19:22 AM
So was this decision made without his approval? Who does make decisions like this?

People in California?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Quote from: Habbaku on October 26, 2016, 10:17:29 AM
https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAjqkzX?m=en-us

Defense Secretary Ash Carter orders the Pentagon to halt trying for repayments.

The Pentagon should also return payments with interest and damage awards.

Admiral Yi

Next they should pay the same bonuses to people in the other 49 states.  The people who didn't re-enlist should get a bonus too, as should civilians.