Detroit thread. Post Kwame, Monica, and $1 houses here.

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 17, 2009, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The story above is shocking; even in a city as violent as Detroit mob justice is very rare.  Far less surprising is the following:

QuoteFeds probe vote for Detroit City Council leadership

Detroit — Federal law enforcement officials have subpoenaed the Rev. Horace Sheffield to find out what he knows about rumors that someone tried to pay Detroit City Council members to influence the outcome of the vote for the council presidency, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

The public corruption investigation, apparently in its early stages, was triggered by a conversation at an Eastern Market bar approximately five weeks ago involving Detroit Police Chief James Craig; political consultant Adolph Mongo; and Sheffield. Sheffield is a prominent Detroit pastor, the father of Detroit Councilwoman Mary Sheffield and a congressional challenger to U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Detroit.

The men allegedly discussed rumors that someone was trying to buy the votes of City Council members.

Within days, Horace Sheffield said the FBI showed up at his home and said he had his lawyer contact the bureau. Since then, at least one subpoena was issued for Horace Sheffield to testify in front of a federal grand jury April 24, his lawyer said. The federal prosecutor on the case is Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Bullotta, one of the lead prosecutors in the Kwame Kilpatrick corruption trial, Sheffield's lawyer Michael Cafferty told The News.

The FBI repeatedly has said Horace Sheffield is a witness and not a target of the investigation, Cafferty said. The FBI and U.S. Attorney's Office declined comment.

In February, the new Detroit police chief had a casual conversation at Cutter's Bar & Grill in Eastern Market with Mongo and Sheffield.

During the conversation, someone brought up rumors about "somebody, who previously was involved with Kwame Kilpatrick, offering bribes" to influence the vote for City Council president, Cafferty said. "The reverend said he'd heard rumors like that, too, and that he would talk to his daughter and make sure she was on high alert about any (thing) like that."

"I had concerns that my daughter be careful if anyone offers her anything — that she acknowledge it, report it and not let someone else report it," Horace Sheffield told The News. "She has integrity."

The investigation comes at a time when the City Council has been stripped of most of its powers, which have been delegated to Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr, and as the bankrupt city recovers from a years-long racketeering case involving Kilpatrick. Orr's spokesman, Bill Nowling, declined comment.

"This is unfortunate that we have to hear rumors about wrongdoing when we just went through hell for the last five or six years," Mongo said. "People don't want to go through no more investigations and no more trials. People are sick of hearing about this kind of stuff."

Craig, the Detroit police chief, could not be reached for comment.

Mary Sheffield told The News that she was not approached by anyone attempting to buy her vote.

"Nothing illegal happened. I was never bribed. I was never offered anything," Mary Sheffield said. "In regards to me, that did not happen. It's not true."

In a tight race in January, the council voted 5-4 to elect Brenda Jones as its president over former president Saunteel Jenkins. The panel, by the same margin, elected George Cushingberry Jr. as president pro tem.

A spokesman for Jones said she was unavailable Wednesday night for comment.

Jenkins said she had no knowledge of the investigation. The second-term councilwoman said she has not been approached by the FBI.

"From my perspective, this is ridiculous," Jenkins said. "This is not something I would ever be involved in and it is not something anybody I'm close to has ever had any conversation with me about."

Jenkins, returning council members Andre Spivey and James Tate, and new member Raquel Castaneda-Lopez voted to have Jenkins and Spivey lead the council. Jones, Cushingberry and new members Gabe Leland, Scott Benson and Mary Sheffield voted for Jones and Cushingberry.

Jenkins previously was elected to serve as the council president in July after its president, Charles Pugh, went AWOL and pro tem Gary Brown took a job on Orr's restructuring team.

Leland told The News that no efforts were made to sway his vote.

"That's news to me," he said of the claims. "I've heard nothing about that."

If only the FBI wouldn't investigate public corruption all would be right in Detroit.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

All I need to know about Detroit is that you prefer to live in Florida.  I knew Detroit was bad but to drive somebody to move to Florida it must truly be hell on earth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2014, 01:02:10 PM
All I need to know about Detroit is that you prefer to live in Florida.  I knew Detroit was bad but to drive somebody to move to Florida it must truly be hell on earth.

... unless that person was positively drawn to dysfunction.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2014, 01:37:34 PM

That doesn't seem likely; I'm a regular poster on Languish.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

:yes: Almost as bad as Texas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2014, 05:17:43 AM

True. It is horrible here.  EVERYBODY STOP MOVING HERE.

Seriously fuck off we are full.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on April 05, 2014, 04:51:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2014, 01:37:34 PM

That doesn't seem likely; I'm a regular poster on Languish.   :)

Indeed.  That cannot be it.  It must be because CB was getting tired of Michigan State never coming through and decided to become a Florida State fan.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2014, 08:15:28 PM

I'm coming to impregnate your women. White women.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

You'd never have to worry about me, man. Fuck that Texas shit.

katmai

You ass hats didn't listen when we said that in 1820's, but NOOOOOO
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on April 06, 2014, 10:02:11 PMYou ass hats didn't listen when we said that in 1820's, but NOOOOOO

Dude there were like 5,000 of you.

Valmy

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2014, 10:03:49 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 06, 2014, 10:02:11 PMYou ass hats didn't listen when we said that in 1820's, but NOOOOOO

Dude there were like 5,000 of you.

If Katmai sized, counts as 25,000.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2014, 10:04:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2014, 10:01:58 PM
You'd never have to worry about me, man. Fuck that Texas shit.

Good man.

Heat, tornados, hurricanes, Republicans. Oh, hells no.