Detroit thread. Post Kwame, Monica, and $1 houses here.

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 17, 2009, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

At some point isn't Detroit bound to make some weird kind of comeback as a hipster mecca or something?  I mean the housing is super cheap, surely there must be some American Apparel loving idiot who wants to live in Detroit for novelty value. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2009, 11:06:36 PM
At some point isn't Detroit bound to make some weird kind of comeback as a hipster mecca or something?  I mean the housing is super cheap, surely there must be some American Apparel loving idiot who wants to live in Detroit for novelty value.
According to the big article in the current Time an abandoned factory is being rented out as artisan work space.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2009, 11:29:00 PM
According to the big article in the current Time an abandoned factory is being rented out as artisan work space.

Partisan. This is Detroit. :contract:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

There are some people in Detroit like that; but not that many.  Detroit is really inconvenient; there's only a couple grocery stores in the city and hardly any retail shopping.  Police, Fire and Emergency services are undermanned.  Taxes and insurance costs are higher than in the suburbs.  The roads are in terrible shape, the streets aren't consistently lit and snow removal is haphazard.

Prices weren't that cheap until the collapse of the housing market last year.  Things may change in the city now that property is so affordable; but the problem now is that there aren't new jobs here anymore and young people are leaving the state to find work.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on March 29, 2009, 11:56:35 AM

There are some people in Detroit like that; but not that many.  Detroit is really inconvenient; there's only a couple grocery stores in the city and hardly any retail shopping. 

How does that work? Are you exaggerating or are they simply enormous?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 12:01:07 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 29, 2009, 11:56:35 AM
There are some people in Detroit like that; but not that many.  Detroit is really inconvenient; there's only a couple grocery stores in the city and hardly any retail shopping. 

How does that work? Are you exaggerating or are they simply enormous?

To answer you're first question; not very well.

In the wake of the 1967 riots all the grocery stores left the city.  Little Mom-and-Pop party stores, mostly run by Chaldeans, have taken their place; they sell mostly liquor, but they'll have some canned goods, Wonder Bread, and other things which never expire.  One of the local chains tried to open a super market near Wayne State University in the 80's, but that got robbed so regularly that it would close at sunset.  Now it's run by some co-op.  There's a farmer's market in the city which is enormous; but most people who live in the city get their groceries in the suburbs.

This is changing now as more Hispanics move into the city.  There are a number of supermercados now in Mexican town; but in most of the city there is simply nothing.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Triumph of the muckrakers:

QuoteFree Press wins national award for Kilpatrick series
FREE PRESS STAFF • March 31, 2009

The Free Press has won yet another national honor for its coverage of the Kwame Kilpatrick text-message scandal, tying for first in the largest newspaper category in awards announced today by the Investigative Reporters and Editors organization.

The Free Press coverage, "A Mayor in Crisis," tied for first with McClatchy Newspapers, whose Washington reporters tracked down former Guantanamo Bay prison detainees to expose abuses.

IRE, a professional organization which supports investigative reporting, cited Free Press reporters Jim Schaefer and M.L. Elrick for obtaining the text messages then-Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick exchanged with aide Christine Beatty that exposed their lies at a police whistle-blower trial and showed how the city's subsequent payout of more than $9 million was an effort to cover up their lies.

Then, "through careful analysis of public records obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, the reporters verified a trove of text messages and...with the aid of other Free Press reporters, methodically demolished the mayor's carefully built façade of lies, pay-offs and cronyism – a compelling example of investigative reporting's ability to reveal abuses of power," the award announcement said.

IRE specifically cited Free Press reporters Jennifer Dixon and Dawson Bell for their role in follow-up stories on the scandal. The coverage has received several national awards. It was edited by David Zeman, assistant managing editor for investigations at the paper.

The awards, to be presented at IRE's annual conference in June in Baltimore, spanned 15 categories of watchdog reporting in broadcast, print and on the Web, and a range of market sizes.

Joseph Pulitzer would be proud.   :)

Berkut

QuoteThe Free Press coverage, "A Mayor in Crisis," tied for first with McClatchy Newspapers, whose Washington reporters tracked down former Guantanamo Bay prison detainees to expose abuses.

:bleeding:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Sav, did you eat your pre-Lenten puschkis (sp)?

I remember that you are a Papist; are you a Polack?

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 03:34:31 PM

Pączki; I had one on Mardi Gras.   :)

I am a Papist, but not a Polack.  My mother's family came over on the canoe with Cadillac :frog:  The traditional Lenten dish for Detroit's old French community is muskrat.  I've never had it; but it's supposed to be really greasy.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on March 31, 2009, 03:49:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 03:34:31 PM

Pączki; I had one on Mardi Gras.   :)

I am a Papist, but not a Polack.  My mother's family came over on the canoe with Cadillac :frog:  The traditional Lenten dish for Detroit's old French community is muskrat.  I've never had it; but it's supposed to be really greasy.

Shit, if they knew what Detroit would become in the future, they would have paddled that canoe a little further.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2009, 04:11:44 PM
Shit, if they knew what Detroit would become in the future, they would have paddled that canoe a little further.  :lol:

Oh, I imagine they would have been disappointed to learn what was to come; but all of French North America was annexed by the British, not just Detroit.

Queequeg

Sav, how endogamy bound are Chaldean women in Detroit?  If I end up in Ann Arbour, I'd probably end up trying to date at least one Assyrian.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Winkelried

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 17, 2009, 12:39:21 PM
This is pretty sad.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1882089,00.html

Edit: I always thought that train station looked like some monstrous Soviet edifice. The Detroit Palace of Culture.

Detroit seems to be the right place to produce "Fallout: The Movie".  :P

Seriously, comparing Hiroshima and Detroit, you wouldn't guess it was the former that got nuked.