Detroit thread. Post Kwame, Monica, and $1 houses here.

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 17, 2009, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2023, 01:41:35 PMGentrification must be really bad in Detroit for Savonarola I guess.  :P

Guilty.  (I think I wrote about it here that) the first time I returned to mid-town after the bankruptcy and saw that it's now filled with Whole Foods, yoga parlors and all the other banal excesses of bourgeois America my first thought was "My God, we need to bring back Kwame."

;)

Seriously Detroit is much better off post-bankruptcy and with the current mayor; but I'll always miss the old Detroit.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on April 02, 2023, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2023, 01:41:35 PMGentrification must be really bad in Detroit for Savonarola I guess.  :P

Guilty.  (I think I wrote about it here that) the first time I returned to mid-town after the bankruptcy and saw that it's now filled with Whole Foods, yoga parlors and all the other banal excesses of bourgeois America my first thought was "My God, we need to bring back Kwame."

;)

Seriously Detroit is much better off post-bankruptcy and with the current mayor; but I'll always miss the old Detroit.

Isn't that just called Gary?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on April 02, 2023, 02:05:55 PM

;)

Yes, that's one of your posts I remember something along the line of "one can never go back".

When I hear or see Old Detroit, I think of the Old Man in Robocop.  :P

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 03, 2023, 08:02:57 AMYes, that's one of your posts I remember something along the line of "one can never go back".

When I hear or see Old Detroit, I think of the Old Man in Robocop.  :P

"You can't go back home again" (I may have left out the "Again").  It's a title of a novel by Thomas Wolfe about a successful novelist who returns to his home town and discovers both it and he have changed too much that he could ever really go home.  (That's really only the beginning, it expands on the idea of "Home" even further to mean the United States and the protagonist's relationship to it.)  The (very Gertrude Steinian) Gertrude Stein quote "There is no there, there" is meant to express a similar sentiment.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

In any event, The Detroit News has a bunch of archival material online.  Check out this driver taking a test drive at the Ford Proving Grounds in 1928:  Newsreel

I'm not sure which proving grounds these are.  1928 was the year the Rouge Factory (Dearborn) opened; but the main production facility was still in Highland Park.

Savonarola

A bit north of the exurbs, (Holly is where the Renaissance Festival (Huzzah!) is held), but still close to Detroit:

Real-life cowboy wrangles stray cow on Michigan interstate

:alberta:

MadImmortalMan

I wish there was a way for Sav's gigantic pile of stories...

Some kind of publishing mechanism...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 02, 2023, 05:20:02 AMI wish there was a way for Sav's gigantic pile of stories...

Some kind of publishing mechanism...

Thank you, that was kind.   :)

I wish I still had the inclination to write; but after having set up a home office during Covid I haven't wanted to spend any more time at the computer.

(I guess I could go back to writing longhand; or pull a CDM and get a typewriter.)