What was the coolest decade of the 20th century to live in?

Started by Syt, July 05, 2009, 01:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was the coolest decade of the 20th century to live in?

1900s
2 (3.8%)
1910s
1 (1.9%)
1920s
8 (15.4%)
1930s
2 (3.8%)
1940s
0 (0%)
1950s
5 (9.6%)
1960s
8 (15.4%)
1970s
6 (11.5%)
1980s
6 (11.5%)
1990s
14 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2009, 09:31:05 AM
Most of you are too young to have remembered teh 80s for how truly awesome they were.

You all fal

In the 1980s I moved to Canada. I finished high school. Finished university. Got laid for the first time. Started working. Quite the decade.

Still picked the 60s though. They're probably romanticized now, but it seems to me they were a good decade from what I've read, and seen in Oliver Stone films. 
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on July 05, 2009, 12:22:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2009, 03:23:20 AM
1954-1963

Cool jazz, Rat Pack, smoking was in, guys wore suits and thin ties to parties, and the ladies still wore gloves.
Yeah, daddyo.
Yup.

But I voted 1910s, if you can stay out of WW1 it is just a fantastically cool era, and I'd include the early 20s in that decade.

And you'd be wrong.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Josephus on May 25, 1970, 02:22:26 AM
Still picked the 60s though. They're probably romanticized now, but it seems to me they were a good decade from what I've read, and seen in Oliver Stone films. 

Never believe anything you see in an Oliver Stone film.

Siege

Chosing a decade in the 20th century is just chosing between diferent wars.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: dps on July 05, 2009, 09:33:35 PM
Never believe anything you see in an Oliver Stone film.
QFT

Now, the 60s of From the Earth to the Moon was real.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on July 05, 2009, 10:15:32 PM
Chosing a decade in the 20th century is just chosing between diferent wars.
Not outside Israel.  Outside israel, we had culture, and wars were interruptions in the developments of culture.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on July 05, 2009, 12:22:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2009, 03:23:20 AM
1954-1963

Cool jazz, Rat Pack, smoking was in, guys wore suits and thin ties to parties, and the ladies still wore gloves.
Yeah, daddyo.
Yup.

But I voted 1910s, if you can stay out of WW1 it is just a fantastically cool era, and I'd include the early 20s in that decade.

The first five things that come to mind with the 1910s are:

WWI
Spanish Flu
Revolutions
Economic Recession/Depression
The Titanic

Even if you take out that minor detail we call WWI, it was still a crappy decade. The Armenians in particular are offended by your vote.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

People during most of the century tended to look back on the Edwardian Age as the 'good old days' so they must have been awesome...so long as you were a white guy I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2009, 09:30:14 AM
People during most of the century tended to look back on the Edwardian Age as the 'good old days' so they must have been awesome...so long as you were a white guy I guess.

This may be a cop out, but in those days I'd probably be close to the end of my life expectancy, probably wouldn't have a car, possibly not electricity, definately no TV, and may be stuck using an outhouse. We also didn't have legal birth control.

I tend to think that just because of improvements in technology and general living standards that the later decades are the only viable options.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

ulmont

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2009, 09:36:37 AM
I tend to think that just because of improvements in technology and general living standards that the later decades are the only viable options.

:yes:

PDH

I don't think I would want to live in a decade before penicillin...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

██████
██████
██████