News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Trump's tape releases....

Started by Berkut, October 12, 2016, 01:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Time magazine had a line that I thought hit the nail in reference to republican response to the tape:
QuoteThe tape was catalytic not because it showed a new Trump but because it made clear that the old Trump is the only Trump this election is going to see.

No one was surprised at the contents of the tape (Trump has made such boasts before, though less graphically in public), but his response (blanket denial in most cases, with a specific "she's too ugly to be credible" for one case where he thought he could get away with it) appears to be making the wives of GOP officials force their husbands to drop him.

I'm loving the fact that those who have dropped their support now have the enmity of the "right wing" lunatics that make up his base.  They were the frog that gave the scorpion a ride.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Ideal timing would have been January of last year.  The real problem is a lack of investigative reporting.  The tax form thing was a result of someone sending the NYTs a copy of the forms.  The video tapes are a result of someone finally getting the bright idea of going into the basement and looking at what Trump said in numerous recorded interviews.  The Press gave Trump free, positive exposure for over a year.  More than any other Republican candidate.  If they had done their job this stuff would have destroyed Trump months ago, and the GOP would have a sane candidate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Problem is, they actually would not - they would just have a less overtly crazy one.

Cruz was the clear second choice, after all. He is possibly more dangerous than even Trump.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 14, 2016, 03:04:58 PM
Problem is, they actually would not - they would just have a less overtly crazy one.

Cruz was the clear second choice, after all. He is possibly more dangerous than even Trump.

Disagree.

Say what you will about Cruz, or Rubio, or Jeb!, or on the other side Bernie Saunders - but they're all competent politicians with varying resumes of public service.  Even Saunders, who I would hate to see elected, at least meets basic minimums of competence.

Trump does not.  He seems entirely unsuited to hold office.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2016, 03:16:57 PM

Disagree.

Say what you will about Cruz, or Rubio, or Jeb!, or on the other side Bernie Saunders - but they're all competent politicians with varying resumes of public service.  Even Saunders, who I would hate to see elected, at least meets basic minimums of competence.

The other side of that though is that President Trump would spend his whole time tweeting inanely, goosing random women, and gilding the White House, rather than doing any actual governing - so there is, in theory, less active damage he could do. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

If Trump was out before the Iowa caucus there is no telling who would have won.  It's such a large number of votes that are freed up, you can not make a realistic guess as to where those votes would fall.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Even Saunders, who I would hate to see elected, at least meets basic minimums of competence.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Yeah, garb, I have no idea who "Saunders" is either.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on October 14, 2016, 04:57:32 PM
Yeah, garb, I have no idea who "Saunders" is either.

I just posted a picture of her. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Trump tape sounds like something police would use to cordon off the area around a noxious gas leak.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Disagree.

I didn't say he was less competent, I said he was potentially more dangerous.

Religious fanaticism is bad, even if it is your religion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned