News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cultural Opabinia

Started by Razgovory, October 12, 2016, 11:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

uploading images

Why don't we have the cultural appropriation discussion here, and leave the other thread for stupid things our friends and families post on Facebook.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Hijacking threads has a long and glorious tradition.  :mad:

Grinning_Colossus

Edit: Actually, fuck it. Internet debates are never worth it.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grinning_Colossus

Also, idea of different cultures is a useful abstraction, but it obscures a much more complicated reality. On the finest level, every individual can be said to represent their own culture, and while we can identify commonalities between individuals and group them into broad categories, it's important to keep in mind that those categories are artificial, are shaped by power relations, and always overlap with others and contain myriad differences. Too much of this discourse treats cultures like fantasy races.

garbon

Don't worry everyone, GC has minority friends.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2016, 12:41:59 PM

And we just go straight to the personal attacks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2016, 12:47:37 PM

It'll be just as effective. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Sorry I called you lily white in the other thread. But if it makes you feel any better I was on your side! :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grinning_Colossus

I don't have many friends in general. ;)

garbon

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2016, 12:49:45 PM

Effective as what?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2016, 01:03:57 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2016, 12:49:45 PM

Effective as what?

Wasting my time putting a cogent response to someone as willfully ignorant as GC. Both will be equally effective in having an impact on his opinion.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Garbon abhors the cultural appropriation of his native culture.  Whatever culture that happens to be this month.

EDIT:  Oops.  I confused Garbon and Grallon.  I do that sometimes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Cultural appropriation is bunk.