News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brits and lift etiquette

Started by Martinus, October 12, 2016, 05:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Americans might be know for being friendlier/more outgoing than Euros, but I pretty much never, ever see strangers in an elevator pass on polite greetings.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on October 12, 2016, 08:48:20 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 12, 2016, 08:37:09 AM
In Toronto at least, talking to strangers in public spaces (unless functionally necessary) immediately identifies you as a foreigner.  :D

Or missionaries of some sort. Though I don't see as many Mormons as I used to

I once got Mormon missionaries appearing at an archaeological dig site I was working on out in the country. That was surreal. It was nearly 30 years ago, though.  :D

The Hare Krishna appear to have entirely disappeared.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

The place I work now is no longer in the corporate headquarter, but much more down-to-earth with engineers and mechanics etc. You even greet random unknown people you meet in the hallways or so here, especially early in the morning, not so much later in the day. 

garbon

Don't go to NYC, Marti. You'll likely get a 'fuck you too' in response. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2016, 07:22:13 AM
Ok you Brits are weird. I am as antisocial as they come and hate people who chat you up or anything but I always say "good morning" when I enter a lift in Poland and "good bye" when I leave when there are people there (of course I mean complete strangers). It's just polite. I mean it would be awkward not to acknowledge other people in close quarters like this.

You hit on everything with a penis. Of course your behavior is different from normal people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

One odd thing about corporate etiquette I've noticed is if you see someone you know at their normal work desk you may ignore them.
If you pass them in the corridor even outside their office though then you must say hello.
See them in public (again, even if just outside the office building ) and they're your best friend who you haven't seen for years.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

I'll be very surprised if a random stranger says anything to me in a lift.  I don't know about Brits, but Canadians tend to do that, and it freaked me out every time. 

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2016, 03:22:24 AM
One odd thing about corporate etiquette I've noticed is if you see someone you know at their normal work desk you may ignore them.

But, of course. They could be working. ;)

Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2016, 03:22:24 AMIf you pass them in the corridor even outside their office though then you must say hello.

Yes, because you are close and you do know them.

Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2016, 03:22:24 AM
See them in public (again, even if just outside the office building ) and they're your best friend who you haven't seen for years.

Nah. I mean maybe if you can't but help run into one another but generally you should avoid having such interactions occur outside of work hours. :P

And I've never expected anyone to say anything to me just outside the office or in the vicinity when say during a lunch break. Well my employees maybe. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: mongers on October 12, 2016, 08:30:48 AM
Your right about the weirdness of Brits, when I'm out and about in the countryside I always say Hi, morning, evening etc to people I encounter, especially if dog walkers so they know I'm not going to run their dog down and/or they'll make an effort to restrain it.

But I can be miles from anywhere and I'll pass a walker, say hi and you'll get an utterly blank look from them if anything, that does seem bizarre, to me it's the human things to acknowledge the presence of other people, especially if your both in some sense travelling.
I think the rule is you greet anyone who is outdoors with a purpose. When running, I greet other runners and dog walkers. Normal pedestrians are just doing the inconvenient bit to get where they're going. Unless they're old people, but it's touch and go whether to say hello as they'll invariable want to chat.

I also get stopped for directions far more when I'm running than walking. :hmm:

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2016, 11:30:08 AM
Americans might be know for being friendlier/more outgoing than Euros, but I pretty much never, ever see strangers in an elevator pass on polite greetings.

Agree, and if someone did so when I got onto an elevator, it would almost be creepy.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive