News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Back from Louisiana.

Started by Siege, July 03, 2009, 06:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I'm back from JRTC, at Fort Polk, Louisiana.
It was horrible. Hot as hell, and mission after mission with no breaks.
During the MILES war, shooting with lasers that are detected by sensors mounted on our armor, the opforce killed me 4 times. Those guys are definitively better than hajj.

Also, I didn't get to shoot any alligator. We got issued only blanks. Not even an alligator sighting. The fuckers smelled my precense and ran for cover. Not hard to smell me after a week without taking a shower sleeping in the woods. I chased a few wild turkeys I found, with my bayonet, but they got away. Wild turkeys very fast, me, very slow. Got chased out of the woods by a big wild boar. I fired blanks at the fucker, to scare him, but he just kept coming at us. We all ran for our lives.

What else? Well, the training was really hard, 3 hours of sleep per day, mission after misson. The food was bad, nothing like in Iraq. As a matter of fact, this was harder than being in Iraq. In Iraq we get rest, good food, and time to plan our missions, cause nobody is willing to afford friendly cassualties. In JRTC, we had barely finished a mission and we were already getting a FRAGO to head for a new location. But thats the way it have to be done. The more we sweat over here the less we bleed over there.

Well, we also got briefed in all that is going on over there. Basicly, the war in Iraq is over. Today it is nothing like it was last year. Nobody leaves the wire without an order signed by two iraqi judges, and all missions are being led by ISFs (iraqi security forces). We cannot knock down doors anymore and charge inside and clear enemy occupied houses. The iraqis are doing it, and we are there only for support in case something goes wrong. And most of the clearings these days are soft knocks, knocking on the door and calling the people out, giving away the element of surprise. The way it looks, I don't think I'm going to be able to fullfil my kill quota in my next deployment. An entire year in Iraq is going to be a monumental waste of my skills and my precious time.

Anyway.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jaron

You got killed four times?

So, when do you deploy for real? :shifty:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: Jaron on July 03, 2009, 06:44:45 PM
You got killed four times?

Yeah, that's why we train for. So we can see the mistakes we are making.
The thing is that I take risks with hajj that it would be really stupid to take against american soldiers. In JRTC we train against a unit of american soldiers that role-play the iraqi insurgency. They are way better than the real iraqi insurgency is.

QuoteSo, when do you deploy for real? :shifty:

Can't tell you exactly, but is under two months.

Siege

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2009, 06:54:03 PM
Hi Siege. Go back to LA.

What, you didn't miss me?

I missed you.

Jaron

When you deploy, be sure to show off your Israeli pride and put a big old star of david on your uniform.

Something like this perhaps:

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grey Fox

Welcome Back Siegy.

We had a thread that really needed your input about 2-3 weeks ago.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=1225
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

ulmont

garbon

Quote from: Siege on July 03, 2009, 06:57:00 PM
What, you didn't miss me?

I missed you.

You ain't bought me nothing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

FunkMonk

Quote from: Siege on July 03, 2009, 06:42:03 PM
Got chased out of the woods by a big wild boar. I fired blanks at the fucker, to scare him, but he just kept coming at us. We all ran for our lives.

:lol:
Nothing is so dangerous as a bunch of bored infantrymen.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Phillip V

Yeah. Back when I was fresh out of basic training, my unit asked me to go to JRTC in Louisiana, but I refused.

Razgovory

Am I the only one who finds the idea of siegy chasing turkeys funny?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2009, 08:42:30 PM
Am I the only one who finds the idea of siegy chasing turkeys funny?
Any many should have a natural desire to chase animals. Just don't have sex with them.

Siege

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 03, 2009, 07:47:29 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 03, 2009, 06:42:03 PM
Got chased out of the woods by a big wild boar. I fired blanks at the fucker, to scare him, but he just kept coming at us. We all ran for our lives.

:lol:
Nothing so dangerous as a bunch of bored infantrymen.

We used all our smoke grenades and star clusters, including the ones for the M203s.
None of them were used in actual training.

Also, some of the guys made slings, out of 550 cord and 100 mile tape, to get revenge on the damn boar from our humilating defeat. Americans are worthless with slings. One of them hit himself in the head with it. Medic!

The worst part was when they started shooting cleaning rods with the blanks. You know, the cleaning rods for the M4, that come apart in 3 parts, they started shooting those with the blanks, by loading the cleaning rods through the muzle, like a damn muzle loader musquet. Good thing I got there in time to stop the madness. That shit is dangerous, dude. I made them do push-ups for quite a while.