"A citizen of the world is a citizen of nowhere." - Theresa May

Started by Syt, October 06, 2016, 05:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: celedhring on October 06, 2016, 08:35:00 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 06, 2016, 08:31:56 AM
I notice that only 4% of Germans "strongly agree" even though they are really quite an outward-looking people in many ways. I think that is because they have thought about the question rather than indulging in wishy-washy feelings. It is the country that provides its citizens with healthcare, pensions, protection etc., one can love and admire certain foreign countries but short of emigrating there they are not going to provide one with those things. Maybe that is why so many Nigerians regard themselves as citizens of the world, given that their country provides them with bugger-all.

That reasoning makes the Russians the most level-headed of them all, then.

Exactly  :P

I don't think it is a very useful survey, the results are all over the place. Do nearly three quarters of the Chinese think of themselves as world citizens rather than Chinese citizens? Very doubtful, in their case I think it means that they are excited about touristic opportunities, but who knows.

+

celedhring

In the case of Spain, is along the lines of what I would expect. Spanish national sentiment is not very strong - still too tied to Franco and a pretty divisive subject matter.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

I am a citizen of the world. Murica is the world. Murica.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

What if in your heart you consider yourself a citizen of another country in a different time period? Say...1789 or something?

Also:

'What is your nationality?'

'I'm a drunkard'

'That makes Rick a citizen of the world.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 06, 2016, 08:52:43 AM
In the case of Spain, is along the lines of what I would expect. Spanish national sentiment is not very strong - still too tied to Franco and a pretty divisive subject matter.

Yet they also are among the leaders in strongly disagreeing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2016, 09:09:53 AM
What if in your heart you consider yourself a citizen of another country in a different time period? Say...1793 or something?

Fixed for the true Jacobin.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2016, 09:11:00 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 06, 2016, 08:52:43 AM

Yet they also are among the leaders in strongly disagreeing.

Football fans.

But yeah, national sentiment is a divisive matter, and you need somebody at the other side for it to be divisive.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2016, 09:09:53 AM
What if in your heart you consider yourself a citizen of another country in a different time period? Say...1789 or something?

Also:

'What is your nationality?'

'I'm a drunkard'

'That makes Rick a citizen of the world.'

Actually I think that makes Rick a Russian citizen.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Even if discussions like this are just a ruse to lure UKIP retards to the fold, this never ends well.

Look at how the Cameron's Brexit bluff ended. Or what happened to the Republicans.

Gups

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 06, 2016, 08:31:56 AM
I notice that only 4% of Germans "strongly agree" even though they are really quite an outward-looking people in many ways. I think that is because they have thought about the question rather than indulging in wishy-washy feelings. It is the country that provides its citizens with healthcare, pensions, protection etc., one can love and admire certain foreign countries but short of emigrating there they are not going to provide one with those things.
The poll does not provide any explanation for the results, so your reasoning can be correct. But it could just as well be because Germans feel "Deutschland über alles". Who knows.

I feel like I am really openminded, interested in other cultures, love to travel - but all my travels have shown me that yes, I am a German and that also defines part of my values, convictions and the way approach situations.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on October 06, 2016, 08:37:59 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 06, 2016, 08:14:56 AM
I don't understand why this argument matters.  So what if you are a citizen of the world or not?  Seems a meaningless label to me.  It doesn't grant me access to countries, the right to live and work elsewhere, welfare etc.  Are there any serious implications?
Not yet.
The more people start thinking that way though the less we will be prisoners in the place where we happened to be born and the less toxic "don't blame the government who are making your lives miserable for your problems. Blame those nasty people who have the cheek to be foreign" will work.

It's really sad that Europe is being scared out of their Schengen progress now. Someday there may be a day when people can freely go wherever they want without papers, customs, financial controls, etc, but now I doubt it will be in my lifetime.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Nigerians always get the hippie 'we love everybody' award in all these kinds of polls. You would think the country was like Disney Land.