News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syt in Rome - 22nd October

Started by Syt, October 04, 2016, 04:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

If God were to reside in a building, that would be it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2016, 07:44:19 AM
If God were to reside in a building, that would be it.

Trajan's Market? The Knights of Malta do own a building there  :tinfoil:

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on October 05, 2016, 07:19:30 AM
To all the good suggestions already written, I add:

- Centrale Montemartini: it's an old power station refitted as a roman sculpture museum. Nice contrast of turn-of-the-century dark steel machinery and 2000-years-old marble (if you want a sneak peek, you can watch the first minutes of The Ignorant Faeries, a film by Ferzan Ozpetek. And, after the first minutes, you can stop watching it without regrets :-P)
- Take some time at home to study the Trajan Market beside the Forum, then go visit it; it's a very clever use of an area that was very limited in space, and one of the most interesting showcases of architectural techniques the Romans were masters of.

L.

Agreed on Trajan's Market, well worth a visit.  :cool:

CM is great but a bit out of the way. Although you could walk to S. Paolo fuorio le mura from there.
Or the other way to the pyramid and the Protestant cemetery.

Ed Anger

Visit a McDonalds and wildly wave your hands around.
Visit a local resturant and ask for the Olive Garden endless pasta special.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Remember to speak loudly and slowly.  That helps.

Since your are German, wear lederhosen.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

lustindarkness

Do not climb on the walls of the Palatine Hill to take pictures of the Circus Maximus,  a very pissed off Italian will scream at you and ask you to leave.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maladict

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 05, 2016, 10:04:56 PM
Do not climb on the walls of the Palatine Hill to take pictures of the Circus Maximus,  a very pissed off Italian will scream at you and ask you to leave.

Don't climb any walls  :ultra:

Josquius

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 05, 2016, 11:09:35 AM
Visit a McDonalds and wildly wave your hands around.
Visit a local resturant and ask for the Olive Garden endless pasta special.

I do quite like having a look at mcdonalds in different countries to see the local variations :blush:
In Germany it's a sausage sandwich.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Ok, we got our briefing for next week. The main location will be the Auditorium Conciliazione, a stone's throw from St. Peter's, with a few Wednesday events in a different location near the Trevi Fountain.

Cocktail reception at the OS Club, and the "Fun Night" event at Villa Miani on a hill from which you have a good view of Roma.

The hotel is about 200 meters North of the Parco Adriano where the Castel Sant'Angelo is, so touristening should be easy to do on foot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Arrived in Rome. It's grey and rainy.

The hotel is named after Emperor Justinian, with meeting rooms names after various other emperors (Augustus, Caesar, Nero, Tiberius, Marcus Aurelius).

The rooms are spcacious, but the bathroom is tiny. Walked past Hadrian's tomb to pick up my convention pass.

The taxi driver gave us 1 receipt and several blank ones ("How many do you need?") :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 18, 2016, 10:34:50 AMThe taxi driver gave us 1 receipt and several blank ones ("How many do you need?") :lol:

A few years ago, in a campaign against tax evasion, the Italian government made a big deal of making every transaction be registered and a receipt given, so I guess they're now overcompensating.  :P

Zanza

Syt

Spent most of today in meeting rooms in a buidng of the Papal Gregorian University (?). Very 70s/80s interior.

Had  a cappucino with a colleague in a cafe near the location 200m off Trevi Fountain, but mostly serving locals. They didn't have change for a 10 EUR bill, though and then insisted that it was on the house.  :)

After the workshop sessions we walked past the Trevi Fountain and took a taxi back to the hotel. Cocktail reception tonight. My feet hurt from standing all day.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Lucidor

If you have the time next time - my favorite part of last Rome visit was Ostia Antiqua - very well preserved layout of an ancient Roman Suburb. Ofcourse, not as magnificient as the Forum Romanum and the Pantheon, but very nice.

Vatican Museum was awesome.