50 movies for 50 States

Started by viper37, July 03, 2009, 05:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2009, 06:38:54 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 03, 2009, 06:12:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2009, 06:11:12 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 03, 2009, 05:49:42 PM
The big 2 states choices (NY & California) are weird.
Do you have a problem with Point Break?  What are you, some kind of faggot?

Never heard of it but my real problem was with King Kong.
Why add California then?  Point Break is a fine film.

And King Kong is something of a classic, although I'm sure that there are better movies that take place in New York, some of which are directed by Martin Scorsese.

While the ending of King Kong is certainly an iconic scene, the majority of the movie doesn't take place there.

I don't guess I can complain about West Virginia's movie being We Are Marshall, but derspiess is gonna be ticked.  Gotta admit, personally I would have picked either Matewan or October Sky.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

HisMajestyBOB

Some good choices, particularly for Mississippi, Illinois, Arkansas, and of course Fargo for North Dakota.
Colorado, though, is the best: Wolverines! Wolverines! :D

Sadly, Virginia got some crap movie.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2009, 06:11:12 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 03, 2009, 05:49:42 PM
The big 2 states choices (NY & California) are weird.
Do you have a problem with Point Break?  What are you, some kind of faggot?

fags like Point Break.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Siege on July 03, 2009, 09:55:25 PM
Who's this?

Um two of the most recognizable people in America... Meryl Streep and Lindsay Lohan. I'll let you figure out which is which.
:p

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Queequeg

My pick for California would have been Boogie Nights, and Night of the Hunter for West Virginia.

Love the pick for Virgina, though.  How about The Godfather for NYC though? Would make a lot more sense, I think.  An immigrant's story, one of the best movies ever made, etc...
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Bit heavy on the Costner movies there. Why is Texas not Alamo; and why is NC not Cape Fear?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2009, 01:31:55 AM
Bit heavy on the Costner movies there. Why is Texas not Alamo; and why is NC not Cape Fear?
Which Alamo?  I'd have just as soon gone for No Country for Old Men.

Good call on Cape Fear, btw.  The original is an all time classic. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Queequeg on July 04, 2009, 01:19:32 AM
...and Night of the Hunter for West Virginia.
I'm shocked!  Shocked I say! :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on July 04, 2009, 01:38:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2009, 01:31:55 AM
Which Alamo?

John Wayne Alamo.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on July 04, 2009, 01:39:05 AM

Just too bad "Deliverance" takes place in Georgia(I think).

For my own state, I suppose "Singles" is better than the only alternative they probably thought of, "Sleepless in Seattle".

Hell, maybe should have gone with "McQ", even if it is one of the Duke's more passable films.

Josquius

pff, spread across multiple pages, can't we just have a list.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

What should be the criteria for this?  The best movie that is set in the state or the one that captures the feel of the state?

Also Utah's suck.  I'm sure there's a movie about mormons that fits better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 04, 2009, 02:19:22 AM
Quote from: Judas Iscariot on July 04, 2009, 01:39:05 AM

Just too bad "Deliverance" takes place in Georgia(I think).

For my own state, I suppose "Singles" is better than the only alternative they probably thought of, "Sleepless in Seattle".

Hell, maybe should have gone with "McQ", even if it is one of the Duke's more passable films.

What about Virtuosity? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould