Canadian professor under fire for refusing to use genderless pronouns

Started by Hamilcar, September 29, 2016, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2016, 11:36:43 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2016, 11:29:44 AM
Dunno about that. But when I was in military hospital in '96 with a busted knee cap I met a guy I had gone to school with. He was there for psychotherapy. He got drafted into the medics, and apparently he didn't respond well to the photos and videos of the effects of modern battlefield weapons on the human body.

Some people can hack it, some people can't.
It is, however, unfortunate that one's own basic humanity and sense of decency is held against them when they can't, particularly by those who never walked an inch in those moccasins.  So easy to judge from the sidelines.

Does it get easier with time?  You were a cop, you must have seen plenty car crash victims and the like.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2016, 12:20:50 PM
Does it get easier with time?  You were a cop, you must have seen plenty car crash victims and the like.

Not really a whole lot of car crashes, but a couple.  Seen plenty of gun shots, suicides, other types of accidents, though.  Saw what a full-on wrecking ball does to somebody.  Not an ounce of blood.  Just really deflated. 

Plenty of fire victims.  Saw the fire department carry out a toddler that had been burned so bad, I honestly thought it was a dog.

For me, it wasn't dead bodies that bothered me, as much as watching it as it happens that zapped me at times.  They're talking, and then they're not.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 02, 2016, 09:36:17 AM
Quote from: HVC on October 02, 2016, 09:34:31 AM
That last one can't be real, can it?

You underestimate the power of the dark side, young jedi.

Yes, there is no end to content one can find to support a specious argument.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2016, 11:29:10 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on October 02, 2016, 09:53:37 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 02, 2016, 09:32:07 AM
There is more where that came from:

Why are you wasting so much time on websites that have "culture wars" rubrics, looking for reasons to be offended?

"looking for reasons to be offended" seems like a good description of people demanding the use of genderless pronouns.

There was a time I would probably have shared that view, but having spent some time meeting with a transgendered person, their preferred pronoun - they - seemed most appropriate.  I am not sure why one would object to addressing a person in the manner they prefer. 

Hamilcar

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2016, 02:52:58 PM

Why are you wasting so much time on websites that have "culture wars" rubrics, looking for reasons to be offended?

"looking for reasons to be offended" seems like a good description of people demanding the use of genderless pronouns.

There was a time I would probably have shared that view, but having spent some time meeting with a transgendered person, their preferred pronoun - they - seemed most appropriate.  I am not sure why one would object to addressing a person in the manner they prefer.

"They" is fine. It's the made up ones that are the problem.

Solmyr

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 02, 2016, 03:02:18 PM

Why are they a problem, and do you have evidence that they are common enough to be a big problem?

Hamilcar

Quote from: Solmyr on October 02, 2016, 03:24:52 PM

Why are they a problem, and do you have evidence that they are common enough to be a big problem?

"They" is English.

The others are made up words used in an ideological struggle. Pure power play: use this nonsense word, or you'll be reported to "re-education".

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on October 02, 2016, 07:47:42 AM
Yeah, it really is not like you are going to be labeled a monster for failing to remember hundreds of pronouns. That argument exists only in the minds of people who oppose the use of preferred pronouns. Most people are, in fact, very understanding even if you don't get it right, as long as you are willing to respect them in turn and learn.

But you have done it in this very thread. I just wanted to ask the question: what is Gender and why do we need it? Why should we have more of it?

But you have said I am not even worthy to discuss this question. For some reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I do object to people demanding that I substitute my reality for their own.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Does "toxic femininity" exist and if so what does it entail?

Solmyr

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 02, 2016, 03:38:24 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 02, 2016, 03:24:52 PM

"They" is English.

The others are made up words used in an ideological struggle. Pure power play: use this nonsense word, or you'll be reported to "re-education".

Every word was originally made up, before it became part of the language. And no, nobody is reporting people for "re-education" for failing to use correct pronouns, no matter how much you claim it happens.

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2016, 04:02:30 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 02, 2016, 07:47:42 AM
Yeah, it really is not like you are going to be labeled a monster for failing to remember hundreds of pronouns. That argument exists only in the minds of people who oppose the use of preferred pronouns. Most people are, in fact, very understanding even if you don't get it right, as long as you are willing to respect them in turn and learn.

But you have done it in this very thread. I just wanted to ask the question: what is Gender and why do we need it? Why should we have more of it?

But you have said I am not even worthy to discuss this question. For some reason.

Where have I said that?

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2016, 12:38:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2016, 12:20:50 PM

Not really a whole lot of car crashes, but a couple.  Seen plenty of gun shots, suicides, other types of accidents, though.  Saw what a full-on wrecking ball does to somebody.  Not an ounce of blood.  Just really deflated. 

Plenty of fire victims.  Saw the fire department carry out a toddler that had been burned so bad, I honestly thought it was a dog.

For me, it wasn't dead bodies that bothered me, as much as watching it as it happens that zapped me at times.  They're talking, and then they're not.

Yikes :console:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on October 02, 2016, 05:17:11 PM
Yikes :console:

But hey...for people that can't hack it, fuck 'em in their filthy fucking useless fucking faces, right?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2016, 04:15:15 PM

I do object to people demanding that I substitute my reality for their own.

that is a two way street