Canadian professor under fire for refusing to use genderless pronouns

Started by Hamilcar, September 29, 2016, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martim Silva

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2016, 05:44:13 PM
QuoteLGBTI

OK, I realize this is cliché and straight out of Patton Oswalt, but when the hell did the "I" show up?  What's the timestamp on that fucking memo, please?

Oh, you're very late. The "I" has been added long time ago.

In fact, it has gotten several extra letters ever since. If you want to be 100% Progressive, you should use the term "LGBTIQA".

http://student.uncw.edu/org/pride/FAQ/faq_lgbtiqa.htm

Uni of N. Carolina clarification: LGBTIQA stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer/Questioning and Allied. It is sometimes also abbreviated as LGBT or GLBT. The word "Queer" is also sometimes used to include all of these groups.

Monoriu

I am just going to do what I have always done.  I will say "he" to refer to a male, and "she" to refer to a female.  If I ever talk to a transgender person, I will be happy to use whatever pronouns that person specifically request, within reason (your majesty is NOT acceptable  :P).

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2016, 05:24:23 PM
god, god's if you will.

Though I would prefer a genderless pronoun to having to learn 800 pronouns for each new special gender.

Hey, here's a crazy idea - why don't we keep to the 2 genders we know?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2016, 05:44:13 PM
QuoteLGBTI

OK, I realize this is cliché and straight out of Patton Oswalt, but when the hell did the "I" show up?  What's the timestamp on that fucking memo, please?

There is already LGBTQIA. I say we stepped into swamp when we added T. I mean way to prove homosexuality is not associated with a mental illness.

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2016, 01:38:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2016, 05:24:23 PM
god, god's if you will.

Though I would prefer a genderless pronoun to having to learn 800 pronouns for each new special gender.

Hey, here's a crazy idea - why don't we keep to the 2 genders we know?

Because, you know, there are more than two?

Zanza

I guess my social circle is not diverse enough but I've never encountered this "more gender pronouns" outside rants about it on the internet.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2016, 06:01:42 AM
I guess my social circle is not diverse enough but I've never encountered this "more gender pronouns" outside rants about it on the internet.

I only encountered it in university.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

I have several friends who would like to be referred to as something other than he or she (often it's they/them). And you know, it's not that hard!

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

celedhring

I have never encountered this in my life, but I just googled and the proponents of a non-gender specific language in Spanish go with -e terminations. Which actually makes some grammatical sense (we already have shitloads of non-gender specific adjectives that end with -e).

Martinus

It's actually funny because one of the pet causes of Polish feminists is to create feminine version of words which denote professions where the word in use has traditionally a masculine form only (so eg. rather than calling a female minister "Madame Minister" they insist on using the form "Ministra").

It seems to me that this all boils down to insisting on change for the change sake rather than addressing any actual wrong.