Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on September 29, 2016, 11:49:49 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2016, 11:18:01 AM
So, was there ever anything in a real newspaper about this?

We know that the Independent article was bullshit, but I am pretty sure that it was based on something real.

The writedown is real. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/monster-trucks-viacom-loss-115-million-1201867055/

About the son of the then president of the film division coming up with the film, yes it's been in the more sensationalist film media, but imho it's just a way to find a scapegoat for such a monumental disaster, since the guy no longer works there.

Exactly.  I think that the bit about "handing over a multi-million dollar project to a preschooler" was something added by the tabloids to spice up the story.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2016, 01:33:39 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 29, 2016, 11:49:49 AM

We know that the Independent article was bullshit, but I am pretty sure that it was based on something real.

The writedown is real. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/monster-trucks-viacom-loss-115-million-1201867055/

About the son of the then president of the film division coming up with the film, yes it's been in the more sensationalist film media, but imho it's just a way to find a scapegoat for such a monumental disaster, since the guy no longer works there.

Exactly.  I think that the bit about "handing over a multi-million dollar project to a preschooler" was something added by the tabloids to spice up the story.

The story has been embellished a bit as it's gone through the internet echo chambers too. First time I saw it reported was that the Paramount prez came up with the concept after talking with his son, which isn't nearly as outrageous as "4 year old writes 115 million film".

dps

Especially the part about "the studio has already proclaimed the film an absolute disaster".  As if studios were in the habit of officially labelling their own films disasters before they are ever released.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on October 02, 2016, 07:54:55 PM
Especially the part about "the studio has already proclaimed the film an absolute disaster".  As if studios were in the habit of officially labelling their own films disasters before they are ever released.

I had read somewhere that Disney had already anticipated writing The Lone Ranger off before it was in theaters.  I guess they really do track P/L.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2016, 09:07:50 PM
Quote from: dps on October 02, 2016, 07:54:55 PM

I had read somewhere that Disney had already anticipated writing The Lone Ranger off before it was in theaters.  I guess they really do track P/L.

Oh, I don't doubt that the studios sometimes realize before a movie is released that it's going to flop.  I just don't think that they "proclaim" it publicly.