News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your first electronic game?

Started by Syt, September 23, 2016, 04:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Through internet magic I found the first "console" I ever played on. Basically, a souped up pong with a few extra gameplay settings, must've been around 1980.

I recall my middle sister in the early 80s had a console that had a keyboard incorporated in it. It may have been an Odyssey, or maybe a Crativision, or something similar; the memory is hazy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grinning_Colossus

Operation Neptune, an educational game that I played on a 286 in the early 90s. You zoom around in a little submarine shooting fish with ink pellets and collecting parts of a crashed space probe, but once in a while your fun is interrupted by a math problem.

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Oh hell. It was one of those TRS-80s from Radio Shack my dad had in the early 80s:

My dad actually had to program the games himself, the code would come in game magazines.

This was the first video game system I played on:

I have to say it was not actually that close to arcade quality :P but pretty good. It was my friends though so I only played it at his house.

Speaking of my Dad he turns 71 today!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Like Valmy a TRS80 in the 80s but I don't remember that one. I remember the Commodore 64 tho. Played a Moon game on it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

My parents bought me a "Frogger" Mini-arcade game, which I promptly dropped down a flight of stairs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Behold the mighty Apple //c!  Got it Christmas of 1985 I think and played the shit out of hit.

My parents never did get us a console of any sort.  So sure I do kind-of remember playing an early Atari system at a friends house, and later player NES games at another friends, but I was always a computer gamer.

*insert PC Master Race meme here*
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

I remember playing Pong, but the Atari 2600 is the one that we played a lot.

The Minsky Moment

Either Merlin or Electronic Quarterback
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2016, 10:03:08 AM

Behold the mighty Apple //c!  Got it Christmas of 1985 I think and played the shit out of hit.

My parents never did get us a console of any sort.  So sure I do kind-of remember playing an early Atari system at a friends house, and later player NES games at another friends, but I was always a computer gamer.

*insert PC Master Race meme here*

Apple IIc fo lyfe

Wings of Fury was a freaking awesome game.

E: I also had some gigantic type of Atari.  5200? (e2: yeah it was this thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_5200 I remember those controllers) Something like that.  I think we had both of these around the same time.

celedhring

If we don't count those crappy LCD handhelds, the first computer game I played was this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfright

My school had a computer room with MSXs, so we had an optional computing class. We learnt to code in BASIC, which given that we were 9 years old I guess it was quite far-sighted from the school (that was all I ever learnt about coding though  :lol:). Anyhow, the last day of class the teacher brought a few games, and I played this one.

My parents ended up buying the same computer for me, the next summer:

I still keep it at my parents house, btw. It gave me many many hours of classic gaming entertainment: Metal Gear, Gradius, Maze of Galious... those classic Konami games were ace.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

I wasn't even cool enough to have the Coleco version;  I had to settle for the rebadged Sears ripoff.

Went with my Toughskins.

CountDeMoney

Now, as far as video games go--

Christmas '80, motherfuckers.

Razgovory

God, we're old.

I didn't know until today that Coleco stood for "Connecticut Leather Company"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017