8 (18.2%)
Colin who?
12 (27.3%)
An overrated option QB:  NCAA legs, no NFL arm
5 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

frunk

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 21, 2016, 01:29:12 PM
Kap should have husbanded his public image and not endangered any future endorsement deals. He can easily give all that money to BLM or any other cause he wants.

How much is Manning making for these bathrobe commercials? If Kap retires with this image, he won't get those deals. From that perspective you could say it was a very self-sacrificial thing. And probably not a very effective one.

He's not getting a Manning type endorsement deal barring a pretty amazing career reversal.  At worst he might have lost out on a few local commercials selling cars.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 21, 2016, 01:29:12 PM

How much is Manning making for these bathrobe commercials? If Kap retires with this image, he won't get those deals. From that perspective you could say it was a very self-sacrificial thing. And probably not a very effective one.

I don't think Kapaernick was ever going to get those deals without becoming an elite NFL QB. Which looks like a longshot.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on September 21, 2016, 01:31:40 PM
I don't know how you can argue it wasn't effective. It seems like it was radically more effective than he could have possibly expected.

It depends what he was after. If it was attention, then it was indeed radically effective. If it was awareness leading to change in policing, that remains to be seen.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 18, 2016, 01:49:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2016, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 18, 2016, 11:21:43 AM

In Europe, national anthems are definitely played during international soccer games, not sure how common it is to do so during national games. People are expected to stand up, whether it is France, Poland or the UK.

You Yanks are weird with this thing. On one hand you have this really extreme flag waving patriotism, which can make most Euros uneasy at times. On the other hand, you also have this tradition of burning the national flag or shitting on the national anthem, which most Euros would find awkward (or illegal) too. Surely, there are better ways to protest, especially when you live in a country with a rule of law.

American Patriotism has traditionally been conditional.  Trump's brand of Nationalism is more in line with how Euros think, which is I suppose why you and legbiter are attracted to such displays.

This is actually a pretty insightful observation. Well done, Raz.

Well, you finally figured out a way to completely derail me. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on September 21, 2016, 01:48:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 21, 2016, 01:31:40 PM
I don't know how you can argue it wasn't effective. It seems like it was radically more effective than he could have possibly expected.

It depends what he was after. If it was attention, then it was indeed radically effective. If it was awareness leading to change in policing, that remains to be seen.

I think the awareness part is all he can hope for though. What happens with that awareness is beyond his control.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on September 21, 2016, 02:05:10 PM
I think the awareness part is all he can hope for though. What happens with that awareness is beyond his control.

Being a resident of California, he could very easily propose a referendum.

MadImmortalMan

Well now he's made the cover of Time.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 22, 2016, 03:28:01 PM
Hitler must be rolling in his grave.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2016, 03:41:55 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 22, 2016, 03:28:01 PM
Hitler must be rolling in his grave.

Hitler's spinning corpse is powering the secret Nazi moon base.