News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best scripted characters in a video game?

Started by Oexmelin, September 14, 2016, 08:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I don't know about Loghain, he comes across so easily as an asshole, that it's hard to empathize with his motivations. His portrayal could have been a bit more nuanced to make it more difficult to "hate" him. Although I guess they went that route in order to play the redemption card at the end of the game, but it didn't feel too compelling to me.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2016, 10:42:52 AM
I don't know about Loghain, he comes across so easily as an asshole, that it's hard to empathize with his motivations. His portrayal could have been a bit more nuanced to make it more difficult to "hate" him. Although I guess they went that route in order to play the redemption card at the end of the game, but it didn't feel too compelling to me.

He is a pretty heroic figure in all the times he appears before and after DA:O though. :lol:

Which makes him drop kicking babies in DA:O a little weird.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Pedrito

Almost all of the cast of Planescape:Torment is really great, but I have a soft spot for Hannah and Ravel.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Valmy

Quote from: Pedrito on September 14, 2016, 12:54:45 PM
Almost all of the cast of Planescape:Torment is really great, but I have a soft spot for Hannah and Ravel.

L.

Ravel and Kreia are actually variations of the same character Chris Avellone always puts in his games. Great example of a repeating trope done right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

It's so true. The same way Meitzen puts characters who transforms utterly, physically, into the embodiment of hubris, and others who will betray everything for the sake of vengeance. 

Syt's suggestion is also one I have heard elsewhere. Though I have not played the game, it was enough to make me interested. I had heard that the lead writer of Far Cry 3 also had ambitions to question the violence inherent in this type of video game. Though I saw what he wanted to achieve, I was disappointed with the result. Again, I do not know if it was the French translation that made the hero's friend such superficial and horrible people, but the pacing of the game made the hero's descent into violence tacked on (kudos, however, to the actor who played Vaas, in both French and English).
Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

Witcher 3 impressed me.

Red Dead Redemption was also superb

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Jim Raynor in Starcraft and #2.
Alarak in Starcraft #2: Legacy of the Void.  Much more interesting the the other heroes who tend to be boring.
Kerrigan had her moments in Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void.
Kreia in the extended Kotor II.
Iron Bull in DA:I.
Oghren and Morrigan, especially their interaction in DA:O.

EDIT: Tychus Finlay from Wings of Liberty.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Iron Bull? Morrigan? Huh.

I guess you didn't like Solas as much as I did :P

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2016, 01:04:18 PM
Iron Bull? Morrigan? Huh.

I guess you didn't like Solas as much as I did :P
No, I really did not like that brooding elf.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2016, 01:17:02 PM
No, I really did not like that brooding elf.

At least he had a good reason to be brooding :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2016, 09:37:51 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 14, 2016, 09:34:42 AM
I also often wonder about older games vs newer ones, where actors can make all the difference in the world. I have only played Borderlands 2 at my parents (!) when I visited, and found Handsome Jack insufferable in French. By opposition, I am still amazed at how the ensemble cast of Planescape Torment, with just of few lines delivered by actors, could inflect the reading of all that dialog in really touching ways: scratching through the surface of Dakkon, Anna and Morte with only the grain of their voice in mind was quite a feat. 

Oh yeah you got that right. How could I not mention the PS cast? I think the fact that the Transcendent One was rather unmemorable hurts that game a bit.

I remember how interested I was even in characters who died before the game started, like the blind archer.

Planescape was probably the best-written PC game I ever played.  There were several scenes that are not acted out but simply dialogue which I found really memorable.  I liked the scene where the Nameless one actually learns his own name (though the player does not), and a scene where you meet an old man who talks about his father disappearing and you have a flashback where you remember killing the man's father.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017