News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who the hell is Gerry Manderling?

Started by Josquius, September 12, 2016, 11:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

What does 5 million buy you in London these days? A one person condo?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Gups on September 13, 2016, 09:22:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 09:10:11 AM
I'm not a voter but as part of Islington South & Finsbury, I feel definitely distinct form Islington North. And even moreso from Holborn & St. Pancras. :x

Obviously not that much of an affinity. Your are either in Islington South & Shoreditch (beardy, hipster, city banker/lawyer) or Islington North and Finsbury (crazy Muslim fundie and/or sandal wearing, muesli knitting Corbynista).

:huh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islington_South_and_Finsbury_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Represented by an MP who hates on man and vans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2016, 09:29:51 AM

Well that'd depend where in London that one is talking about, no? And 5 million what?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Why does she hate the Isle of Man? Seems a bit remote from Islington.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 09:34:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2016, 09:29:51 AM

Well that'd depend where in London that one is talking about, no? And 5 million what?

5 million British currency. I don't have a squiggly Livre key on my keyboard.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2016, 09:37:09 AM
Why does she hate the Isle of Man? Seems a bit remote from Islington.

This 'offensive' tweet:

garbon

Valmy

Gups

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 09:32:36 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 13, 2016, 09:22:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 09:10:11 AM
I'm not a voter but as part of Islington South & Finsbury, I feel definitely distinct form Islington North. And even moreso from Holborn & St. Pancras. :x

Obviously not that much of an affinity. Your are either in Islington South & Shoreditch (beardy, hipster, city banker/lawyer) or Islington North and Finsbury (crazy Muslim fundie and/or sandal wearing, muesli knitting Corbynista).

:huh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islington_South_and_Finsbury_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Represented by an MP who hates on man and vans.

Quite right. My bad.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on September 13, 2016, 09:25:32 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 13, 2016, 09:02:14 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 13, 2016, 08:24:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2016, 11:22:52 AM

That last paragraph. Sigh. Totally missing the point.
The purpose of MPs is to represent communities. Not to be random people standing for another random x thousand people.
In some urban areas fair enough, the need to adjust boundaries stands. But in rural areas to do the same.... at least they're excluding the northern isles from this.

With a few exceptions (mainly islands and mid-size towns), I don't think there's any real difference between rural and urban constituencies. People don't feel any particular affinity to North Norfolk or North West Durham any more than they do Bristol East or Dulwich & West Norwood.  They are almost all artificial constructs with no historical meaning.
They do however feel affinity for their particular town/village.
Grouping them in with a few nearbouring towns- unavoidable, and generally not too huge a deal, favouritism does happen but as long as its kept local at least everyone can benefit a little. Issues that affect one of the towns generally affect the others too.
Grouping them with towns on the other side of the country- there things can get rather awry. 20 miles can be a long way and quite different issues can interest different towns.

Why isn't that true in urban areas as well, if not much more so? In London we have £5m houses within a few hundred yards of dodgy council estates.
It is to an extent, but it is far more flexiable. Big difference between a change that means you're now ruled from Baxter Street, 1km to the north, rather than St George's Way, 2 km to the south, and one which means your MP is now based in a town on the other side of the county where you've been maybe twice in your life.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

garbon

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers