News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Anniversary, 50 years ago today

Started by CountDeMoney, September 08, 2016, 09:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I'd say ask grumbler, but they don't measure by masts or oars anymore.

KRonn

Star Trek shows and movies, good stuff. I'm also liking the new movies with the new cast, Pine, Quito, Urban, Soldana, etc. I hope they keep the movies going. I think I also heard rumors about a new TV show based on the Trek universe.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on September 09, 2016, 11:32:15 AM
Why is a ship of that size categorized as destroyer? What are the criteria to categorize ships anyway?

Under current USN doctrine, a ship is a cruiser if it has the command and control facilities to embark an admiral, a destroyer if it can fight in multiple warfare areas but lacks flagship capabilities. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on September 09, 2016, 01:24:44 PM
Star Trek shows and movies, good stuff. I'm also liking the new movies with the new cast, Pine, Quito, Urban, Soldana, etc. I hope they keep the movies going. I think I also heard rumors about a new TV show based on the Trek universe.

I liked the old Star Trek stuff (bar the movies), but the new stuff is way too bland for me; it could be featuring any comic book characters and be pretty much identical.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on September 09, 2016, 01:24:44 PM
I think I also heard rumors about a new TV show based on the Trek universe.

The new TV show's advance teaser is already posted out there on teh intrawebs.

I'd link it, but I'm using my iPhone on the shitter, and anything beyond simple forum replies could result in major injuries.

Barrister

It really doesn't say or show anything.  But it is coming in 2017.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

It shows the ship.  Of which I do not approve.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2016, 02:29:35 PM
It shows the ship.  Of which I do not approve.

Yeah, I just watched the little video with that.....thing.....leaving the shipyard/dock: :bleeding:

E: 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

The music and the ship design leads me to believe there's a heavy Klingon influence.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2016, 09:16:32 PM
The music and the ship design leads me to believe there's a heavy Klingon influence.

CountDeMoney

Well, if Trump can cozy up to the Russians...

Barrister

:hmm:

Okay, so I hadn't seen this trailer.  There was an earlier one which was basically just text.

That ship...

It's pretty obviously a melding of Federation and Klingon designs.  The music of course clinches it.  Curious to see where it goes with that.

I have ti say though that the CGI in that clip wasn't great.  Hopefully the show itself will have better.

Syt

Isn't this ship based on some old production designs for TOS? Kind of how the Star Wars movies keep recycling old Ralph McQarrie concepts?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on September 10, 2016, 12:09:01 AM
Isn't this ship based on some old production designs for TOS? Kind of how the Star Wars movies keep recycling old Ralph McQarrie concepts?

Apparently, based on some old designs for ST Phase 2, which later became ST:TMP.  But the sounds effects sound decidedly Klingon.

Although other research definitely suggests that ST: Discovery is also inspired by 2001:A Space Odessey - which can hardly be argued. -_-