Blizzard's Chris Metzen retires at ripe age of 42

Started by Syt, September 13, 2016, 06:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2016, 08:57:50 AM
can you blame the fans for not liking an half baked product sold to them at 60$?

No. I blamed them for being over-the-top about it.

Besides the game wasn't bad. Granted I got it for basically nothing years after release (though they got me with the DLC).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on September 14, 2016, 09:59:40 PM
a bunch of stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-eJezQV1cY (narud is duran, get it? he's now a shapeshifting agent of a dark god)
That was in the original Starcraft, 1998. 

Zeratul discovered the project when investigating the source of protoss energy signatures on the dark moon.[5] Duran himself uncloaked in front of a stasis cell holding a successful specimen and spoke to Zeratul.[34] From the manner in which Duran replied to Zeratul, claiming to be many millennia old (and having had many names over these millennia) and serving "a far greater power", Duran's background became even more enigmatic. Duran, referring to the hybrid, said it was a "completion of a cycle. Its role in the cosmic order was preordained when the stars were young".[5]

a few other things like kerrigan going back to human, then back to zerg, then cliffhanger (but she probably became phoenix rising and turned human again). series turns into a bad love story between raynor and kerrigan. any sort of political intrigue is gone. characters who were once interesting just do stupid things. a great evil awakens; let us unite and defeat it, etc.
Well, that's what made the charm of the series.  When last we saw her, Kerrigan was the ultimate evil.  Yet, we need her.  We can't kill her, but we can't let her do what she pleases either.

but starcraft 2's and diablo 3's storylines pissed off pretty much their entire fanbases
That's not a great feat these days ;)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2016, 11:12:36 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2016, 08:57:50 AM
can you blame the fans for not liking an half baked product sold to them at 60$?

No. I blamed them for being over-the-top about it.

Besides the game wasn't bad. Granted I got it for basically nothing years after release (though they got me with the DLC).
Paying full price for a game where all the settings are identical?  You would have been frustrated too :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2016, 01:12:31 PM
Paying full price for a game where all the settings are identical?  You would have been frustrated too :)

Not sure what you mean by settings :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2016, 01:15:02 PM

I think he means the recycling of dungeons. ME1 reused locations too, but DA2 was really sloppy about it.

viper37

all levels, all places.  Every room a variation of another.

LaCroix

vipe, your quote doesn't contradict what I said

re: charm of the series, I'm not sure how what you said has much to do with what I said.

re: great feats, it is easy to accomplish the utter outrage of almost every fan of the originals, and agreement that the new series/work is garbage. creators of bad games and films often do that. creators of good games and films manage to avoid that. we're not talking about some vocal minority who think the SC and D3 stories suck. almost everyone agrees on that point.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on September 16, 2016, 01:17:03 PM

I think he means the recycling of dungeons. ME1 reused locations too, but DA2 was really sloppy about it.

Oh that. DA1 did that alot as well. But yeah they went rather overboard with it in DA2. The fact that often you were visiting the exact same location several times didn't help.

DA:I then went the other direction and included lots of places that had been visited in the previous games but completely redesigned them to the point they in no way resembled the place they supposedly were. Ironically the only exception to this was located inside Kirkwall :lol: