Stanford bans liquor from parties after sexual assault case shocks campus

Started by garbon, August 23, 2016, 06:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2016, 11:18:13 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2016, 11:16:47 AM

I liked the deal WV had back when I was 18-20 years old-- you had to be 21 to purchase alcoholic beverages, but only 18 to consume.  So I went out to bars with my brother or someone else who was 21, had them buy it, and I drank it.  Worked out pretty well at most establishments.  They closed the "loophole" a few months before I turned 21, but I was moving out of state anyway.

Yeah they are one of the five most restrictive states in the union now. Which is rather hilarious given WV's reputation.

Of course, what the law says and how it's actually enforce are two different things.  It might technically be against the law for a minor to drink an alcoholic beverage provided to them by their parents in the parents' home, but I don't think anyone has ever been prosecuted in WV for just that.  OTOH, while NC law is less restrictive, my impression is that enforcement here is tougher.

Valmy

I like how in some states it is cool so long as it is for religious purposes. The Church of Dionysus is safe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Hamilcar

The infantilization of the American youth is proceeding at an alarming rate. The correct response by society is to increase the age or majority to 23, maybe even 25 and have colleges truly be in loco parentis like regular daycare.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 11:19:21 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2016, 11:16:47 AM
I liked the deal WV had back when I was 18-20 years old-- you had to be 21 to purchase alcoholic beverages, but only 18 to consume. 

This seems like tailor-made for 21 y.o.s to get rich fast. :P

When I was in high school, it was no trouble to go to the ghetto and get people to buy alcohol for a few bucks. I used to talk to my friends about it, "wow if only our parents knew what we were doing/where we were going." Years later, talking to my father about how we got alcohol, he said he used to do the same thing when he was underage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 23, 2016, 11:29:03 AM
The infantilization of the American youth is proceeding at an alarming rate. The correct response by society is to increase the age or majority to 23, maybe even 25 and have colleges truly be in loco parentis like regular daycare.

This seems like you really just wanted to say Americans are being infantilized quicker even though that didn't really have anything to do with this thread or what was being discussed. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 11:32:37 AM

This seems like you really just wanted to say Americans are being infantilized quicker even though that didn't really have anything to do with this thread or what was being discussed. :hmm:

I gave you my wisdom. Feast on it.

Jacob

Some minor change in policy equals "proceeding at an alarming rate"?

Seems like the net effect is going to be pretty much nil - students will still get drunk when they feel like it, and the law still says they have to be 21 to buy booze.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2016, 11:36:48 AM

Some minor change in policy equals "proceeding at an alarming rate"?

Seems like the net effect is going to be pretty much nil - students will still get drunk when they feel like it, and the law still says they have to be 21 to buy booze.

Yeah the policy change is basically a lip service change as campus parties does not mean any party that happens on campus, just what are consider a sizable enough party that they have to register with university that a party is happening. Very specific levels of parties from what I recall in Stanford guidelines.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

students will still get drunk when they feel like it, and the law still says they have to be 21 to buy booze.

Actually it is illegal to drink booze under any circumstances unless you are reporting on other minors drinking booze. So really Stanford should have had them all arrested.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2016, 12:11:17 PM
students will still get drunk when they feel like it, and the law still says they have to be 21 to buy booze.

Actually it is illegal to drink booze under any circumstances unless you are reporting on other minors drinking booze. So really Stanford should have had them all arrested.

Should be easy enough to get around that law.  Get drunk with a bunch of your friends, and then you all snitch on each other.

garbon

Quote from: dps on August 23, 2016, 12:16:52 PM

Should be easy enough to get around that law.  Get drunk with a bunch of your friends, and then you all snitch on each other.

Actually I think it is with regards to snitching because of medical emergency. So all get totally wasted and call an ambulance together.

Anyway, of no practical matter given that no one gets reported to the police at Stanford for underage drinking.

Also, Beebs, apparently I had quite the criminal past. :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 06:58:24 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2016, 06:43:10 AM
Learning to rape at a better school is a premium that pays off all your life.

Well we don't have a 'right to be forgotten' so probably not a great investment for Brock Turner.

Save it for the alumni magazine, Greensleeves.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2016, 12:25:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 06:58:24 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2016, 06:43:10 AM
Learning to rape at a better school is a premium that pays off all your life.

Well we don't have a 'right to be forgotten' so probably not a great investment for Brock Turner.

Save it for the alumni magazine, Greensleeves.

I'm not an officially registered alum. I don't need them constantly begging me to donate money. <_<

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 12:19:32 PM
Quote from: dps on August 23, 2016, 12:16:52 PM

Actually I think it is with regards to snitching because of medical emergency. So all get totally wasted and call an ambulance together.

Anyway, of no practical matter given that no one gets reported to the police at Stanford for underage drinking.

Also, Beebs, apparently I had quite the criminal past. :D

Sound like misdemeanours, not crimes. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 12:30:33 PM

I'm not an officially registered alum. I don't need them constantly begging me to donate money. <_<

I've never actually registered as an alum at my alma mater, yet somehow that doesn't stop them from sending me stuff asking for money.