We've got a failure to communicate: Best prison film

Started by celedhring, August 22, 2016, 07:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the best movie set inside a prison or similar facility?

The Shawshank Redemption
9 (33.3%)
Cool Hand Luke
2 (7.4%)
Midnight Express
3 (11.1%)
The Great Escape
5 (18.5%)
Escape From Alcatraz
1 (3.7%)
The Green Mile
1 (3.7%)
Papillon
3 (11.1%)
Dead Man Walking
0 (0%)
Hunger
0 (0%)
In The Name of the Father
0 (0%)
Write-in (name)
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on August 22, 2016, 07:18:45 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 22, 2016, 07:12:14 PM
Either Sullivan's Travels or I Am a Fugitive from the Chain Gang.

;)

Sullivan's Travels' prison arc is just a small part of the film  :contract:

Small, but crucial; though I do concede the prison scenes are when the film becomes close to the sort of films that Sullivan's Travel is supposed to be lampooning.

Quote]I agree that Chain Gang is pretty great though. Should have put it in.

One of my favorites (not just because the protagonist is an engineer.)  Sam Goldwyn famously said "If you got a message put it on a postcard" (that is, don't put it in your movie.)  This is one of the very few message pictures of the early 30s that proves him wrong.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on August 22, 2016, 08:39:32 PM
:perv:

My ex always messed up her movie titles, and kept referring to Elizabeth Taylor in Blue Velvet. I wish. :lol: Baby wants to fuck, indeed.

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2016, 07:20:21 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 22, 2016, 07:12:14 PM
or I Am a Fugitive from the Chain Gang.

Did you ever see the pseudo-remake with Val Kilmer from the 1980s?  Charles Durning made a damned good sociopath of a warden.  Not as bad a Turkish warden, but Georgia is close enough.

They made movies in the 1980s?  :unsure:

;)

No, I didn't know they remade it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

The Man Who Broke 1,000 Chains

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093485/

Youtube has it in its entirety, but it definitely looks like VHS--
https://youtu.be/sVkcK4qbkgE

CountDeMoney

We're bringing out the big guns, are we?

Prepare to be woo-ed by the master.

and have a cock meat sandwich.

Josquius

There's a reason the Great Escape is a cultural cornerstone
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on August 23, 2016, 02:00:35 AM
There's a reason the Great Escape is a cultural cornerstone

Is it? I mean, it's a beloved and well-known film, but "cultural cornerstone" seems a bit much. There's really few films I would call "cultural cornerstones".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Voted Midnight Express, but I don't have any strong opinions on this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.