Main Menu

Whither political leanings?

Started by Hamilcar, August 15, 2016, 05:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 17, 2016, 09:40:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2016, 08:17:35 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2016, 12:08:02 PM
Rosseau wasn't a collectivist though, he was utopian.

I would give you a substantial ration of shit about this, but you make people type too much in response, and I hate that about you.

it's a debatable point, sure. Contrat social is not a model of clarity.  But IMO Emile is the key to understanding him.

see just 22 words.

You haven't seen how much he has to type in response yet.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2016, 04:49:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2016, 03:42:00 AM
Major things: Stuff that might affect Marty.  Minor things: Things that probably won't.

Yes, catering for gay weddings does not affect me, but reduced opportunities for advancement for poor white kids do. Well done, Raz. You got me.

You mean the ones you dismissively call "the poors" and "Crotch fruit"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2016, 09:44:53 AM
Major things: Stuff that might affect Marty.  Minor things: Things that probably won't.

Yes, catering for gay weddings does not affect me, but reduced opportunities for advancement for poor white kids do. Well done, Raz. You got me.

Does anyone know what he is talking about?

Valmy

But Raz being crotch fruit unites all of humanity!

Well most of humanity. I am sure there are a few unique snowflakes out there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2016, 09:59:14 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2016, 09:44:53 AM

Does anyone know what he is talking about?

Previous statements you have made.  You have demonstrated contempt for the poor, children, women who have children etc. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hamilcar

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2016, 10:54:09 AM
Previous statements you have made.  You have demonstrated contempt for the poor, children, women who have children etc.

To be fair, having children is terrible for the environment.

Valmy

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 17, 2016, 10:59:16 AM

So is genocide then great for it? :hmm: ISIS environmentalists of the year?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Hamilcar

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2016, 11:00:53 AM

No action needed: as humanity gets wealthier and longevity increases, humans have fewer and fewer children.

Valmy

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 17, 2016, 11:04:50 AM
No action needed: as humanity gets wealthier and longevity increases, humans have fewer and fewer children.

Just playing with you :P

But yeah birth rates are going down everywhere. As I said almost every real indicator shows that the future will be better than the past.

Sheilbh

Except for the climate....Probably....

Edit: Also I was speaking to someone who works in development when I was in the pub last night and she was saying one of the real issues that's emerging now is the effect of automation in terms of developing countries. The way to industrialise classically was, apparently: textiles - children's toys - high-end manufacturing (parts, cars, etc.). That last category is normally the key stage to developing beyond mass industry because of all the ancillary jobs that go with it.and the manufacturing jobs themselves are far higher skilled.

However a lot of those level of manufacturing jobs are increasingly automated which means for countries like Bangladesh for example they made it to stage one or two of industrialisation - the sweat shop stage - but it's not necessarily clear that there's a route to the next stage especially compared with China, for example, which started on this road about forty years before Bangladesh. It's even more pronounced in countries in Africa which are trying to develop.

It's not clear how those countries will develop in the future, or if they can, because if they do it will be on an entirely different model than the past 200 years of industrialisation leading to development. One possible exception is the path of reasonably well-educated English speaking countries (India, Nigeria, Ghana) which have simultaneously developed some industry but also a service economy aimed at the developing English speaking world.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2016, 11:17:20 AM
Except for the climate....Probably....

Yes but CO2 emissions are going down everywhere (except India but I think this will reverse eventually). So even if there is a problem it is one we are addressing. The climate should stabilize and we will adjust to whatever the new normal is.

I mean it is a little hard to believe we were ever going to reverse the engineering priorities of 200 years very quickly.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 17, 2016, 11:04:50 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2016, 11:00:53 AM

Not me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 17, 2016, 11:20:24 AM
Not me.

Like Ghenghis Khan in Asia, the US will one day be populated exclusively by descendants of Ed.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2016, 11:21:17 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 17, 2016, 11:20:24 AM
Not me.

Like Ghenghis Khan in Asia, the US will one day be populated exclusively by descendants of Ed.

The buckeye-Hoosier branch, the Franco-buckeye branch......
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.