Everything's Bigger in Texas, Including Confederatardation

Started by CountDeMoney, August 11, 2016, 11:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I like South Carolina's because it is sophisticated and makes a strong legal case for secession on the basis that the Northern States had annulled the Fugitive Slave Clause and had thus broken the compact. But, you have to admit, it makes it a bit weak to claim they seceded to preserve State's Rights. http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

QuoteThe General Government, as the common agent, passed laws to carry into effect these stipulations of the States. For many years these laws were executed. But an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery, has led to a disregard of their obligations, and the laws of the General Government have ceased to effect the objects of the Constitution. The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, have enacted laws which either nullify the Acts of Congress or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these States the fugitive is discharged from service or labor claimed, and in none of them has the State Government complied with the stipulation made in the Constitution. The State of New Jersey, at an early day, passed a law in conformity with her constitutional obligation; but the current of anti-slavery feeling has led her more recently to enact laws which render inoperative the remedies provided by her own law and by the laws of Congress. In the State of New York even the right of transit for a slave has been denied by her tribunals; and the States of Ohio and Iowa have refused to surrender to justice fugitives charged with murder, and with inciting servile insurrection in the State of Virginia. Thus the constituted compact has been deliberately broken and disregarded by the non-slaveholding States, and the consequence follows that South Carolina is released from her obligation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2016, 10:26:49 AM
I'm a sucker for these sorts of historical documents.  :)

I remember once coming across the act of the legislature of Upper Canada outlawing slavery - in 1793. I was researching something quite different at the time.

In typical colonial fashion, the Act itself is the opposite of inspiring - it's a long-worded compromise: slave-owners are to get compensation, existing slaves to be gradually emancipated, no new slaves to be introduced.

The only inspiring bit is in the preamble" "Whereas it is unjust that a people who enjoy Freedom by Law should encourage the introduction of Slaves ... ". Then goes on to spell out the compromise.

Lacks, somewhat, the rhetorical flourish of a John Brown.  ;) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_Against_Slavery

Almost identical acts freed the slaves in the Northern States. Was this their model or did they pass those acts first?

Edit: It's details are identical to Connecticut's gradual emancipation act of 1784 which itself was based on a similar act (but not identical as all children born after the act was passed were born free) passed in Pennsylvania in 1780.

So we did it first USA USA USA
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 10:34:29 AM
I'm a sucker for these sorts of historical documents.  :)

I remember once coming across the act of the legislature of Upper Canada outlawing slavery - in 1793. I was researching something quite different at the time.

In typical colonial fashion, the Act itself is the opposite of inspiring - it's a long-worded compromise: slave-owners are to get compensation, existing slaves to be gradually emancipated, no new slaves to be introduced.

The only inspiring bit is in the preamble" "Whereas it is unjust that a people who enjoy Freedom by Law should encourage the introduction of Slaves ... ". Then goes on to spell out the compromise.

Almost identical acts freed the slaves in the Northern States. Was this their model or did they pass those acts first?

I'm not sure. When were those acts passed?

One interesting note: the person behind passing the Act was John Graves Simcoe - the same guy who was portrayed as the perverse, psychopathic bad guy in the TV series "Turn".  :lol: Needless to say, in Ontario he has a - slightly different reputation.  ;)

In real life of course he'd served in the colonies that became to US, so he may have familiarity with whatever legal currents were prevalent there. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2016, 10:41:25 AM
One interesting note: the person behind passing the Act was John Graves Simcoe - the same guy who was portrayed as the perverse, psychopathic bad guy in the TV series "Turn".  :lol: Needless to say, in Ontario he has a - slightly different reputation.  ;)

In real life of course he'd served in the colonies that became to US, so he may have familiarity with whatever legal currents were prevalent there. 

I noticed the similarity and thought it was a weird coincidence. But it is the same guy. Heh.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 10:45:30 AM
I noticed the similarity and thought it was a weird coincidence. But it is the same guy. Heh.

Yup. After serving on the Brit side in the Revolution, he became GG for Upper Canada, where he was very active.

Here, remnants of his service are everywhere. My dad's cottage is in Simcoe County, near Lake Simcoe; he's revered for all sorts of colonial era foundations; he passed the legislation  that emancipated the slaves.

Contrary to his recent TV portrayal, he hardly ever horribly murdered or stalked anyone while in office.  :D

When I first saw that show, I laughed out loud. It's as if the Brits did a miniseries in which George Washington was portrayed as having a pre-revolution career as a serial killer.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

QuoteI had five grandfathers who fought for the Confederacy

That son of a whore!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Canadian propaganda at its best! ;)

The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2016, 12:03:28 PM

It is rather perverse that a psychopath would take the lead in freeing slaves :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2016, 11:53:22 AM
QuoteI had five grandfathers who fought for the Confederacy

That son of a whore!

His Grandmas really got around.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 12:07:39 PM

It is rather perverse that a psychopath would take the lead in freeing slaves :hmm:

Perhaps it is no fun abusing and torturing slaves - it's simply expected.  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2016, 12:31:06 PM
Perhaps it is no fun abusing and torturing slaves - it's simply expected.  :hmm:

That sick Tory bastard!

Malthus

My guess is that the writers of the series simply expected most people not to know who he was, because in the US he's a relatively obscure figure, so making him the psychopathic villain just made for more entertaining TV.

It just so happens he's not an obscure figure in Ontario for reasons having nothing to do with the Revolution, but I don't expect the writers of the series knew that (or cared if they did know).

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2016, 10:54:25 AM
When I first saw that show, I laughed out loud. It's as if the Brits did a miniseries in which George Washington was portrayed as having a pre-revolution career as a serial killer.  ;)

He did slaughter groves full of innocent cherry trees in his bloody swath.
Oh and there's the little matter of starting the Seven Years War . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

So now you're on board with John Brown?

That's not what you said in the seminal John Brown thread. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 12:07:39 PM
He had a strange habit of being on the site were massacres were commited.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.