News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Noticed that Fox News completely omitted the Manifesto from their reporting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on May 15, 2022, 02:13:46 PMNoticed that Fox News completely omitted the Manifesto from their reporting.

It overlapped too much with the last Tucker Carlson script?

Eddie Teach

Some context, so we at least know what to Google?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 16, 2022, 02:07:13 AMSome context, so we at least know what to Google?

The shooting in Buffalo
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Shooting at a church in California. Suspect: 60 year old man from Taiwan, apparently? The Buffalo shooting didn't make it onto my sisters' timelines; wonder if this one will ...  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

So an unarmed black dude will be shot to death for having a broken tail light because "police need to protect themselves," but an armed white dude in the midst of a murder spree doesn't see a shot fired?  What happened to "police need to protect themselves?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on May 16, 2022, 09:31:10 AMSo an unarmed black dude will be shot to death for having a broken tail light because "police need to protect themselves," but an armed white dude in the midst of a murder spree doesn't see a shot fired?  What happened to "police need to protect themselves?"

Yeah, no shit.  And don't think for a minute that hasn't been noticed.

I mean, Buffalo PD's been under a lot of scrutiny the last few years, and has been taking a lot of strides in cleaning up their issues regarding use of force, de-escalation, and even finally getting into the 1990s with TASERs, but of all the times to accept an honorable surrender.

Also--

QuoteDescribed as a "beloved security guard" who had worked at the Jefferson Avenue location for many years, he spent much of his career as an officer working out of the Northeast District. Database records list Aaron W. Salter as 55 years old.

Salter was the first to defend lives and engage the shooter when he entered Tops around 2:30 p.m. Gramaglia said Salter fired multiple rounds at the attacker and managed to hit him, but the bullets did no damage because of the shooter's protective tactical gear.

grumbler

Seen on twitter, and true:  "Gendron is what you get when you make Kyle Rittenhouse the hero, and Colin Kaepernick the villain."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2022, 07:51:40 PMNow, now, Raz...now is not the time to politicize things.

On the contrary, it's time to blame the libs for opposing the one thing that could have stopped this tragedy: more guns.  If the security guard and all of the shoppers were armed to the teeth with AR-15s and armor piercing rounds, this could have been prevented.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 16, 2022, 11:39:24 AMOn the contrary, it's time to blame the libs for opposing the one thing that could have stopped this tragedy: more guns.  If the security guard and all of the shoppers were armed to the teeth with AR-15s and armor piercing rounds, this could have been prevented.

True, ten lives would be saved from murder... while fifteen lives were lost due to AP rounds going through walls, or ricocheting off concrete.

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2022, 10:05:27 AMAlso--

QuoteDescribed as a "beloved security guard" who had worked at the Jefferson Avenue location for many years, he spent much of his career as an officer working out of the Northeast District. Database records list Aaron W. Salter as 55 years old.

Salter was the first to defend lives and engage the shooter when he entered Tops around 2:30 p.m. Gramaglia said Salter fired multiple rounds at the attacker and managed to hit him, but the bullets did no damage because of the shooter's protective tactical gear.

Clearly the best response is to provide military grade gear to local police departments, so they can handle these events on an even footing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2022, 04:14:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2022, 06:48:05 PMBumped. It. Will. Never. Fucking. Stop.

Bumped. And why not.
In Texas.  Can't blame the State gun laws being too strict this time. 
The kids weren't armed with their own AR-15, that's why it happened. :(

Sorry.  I am at loss of words.  Fucking elementary school.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on May 24, 2022, 09:49:59 PMIn Texas.  Can't blame the State gun laws being too strict this time. 

If I read correctly, the governor said the solution to this would be arming teachers, so you're not far off.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on May 24, 2022, 10:43:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 24, 2022, 09:49:59 PMIn Texas.  Can't blame the State gun laws being too strict this time. 

If I read correctly, the governor said the solution to this would be arming teachers, so you're not far off.
:rolleyes:
Republicans.

Unless the teacher keeps the rifle armed and strapped to its body, I don't see how this is going to help.  The time it would take for the teachers to get to a locker, find the right key under stress, take the gun and charge it, the carnage would be well under way.  I think, in a city, the police might even be there faster than the teacher can get his rifle and aim at the perpetrator.  Meanwhile, you have kids to take care of. <sigh>
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.