Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 19, 2016, 06:33:34 AM
Timely piece by Sam Harris on "What Jihadis Really Want"
https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/what-do-jihadists-really-want

Straight from the source.

The article had more interest for me when it came out.  Now, it is old news.

Sam Harris does do a good job of reading, though, doesn't he?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2016, 03:21:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2016, 02:48:52 PM
I see a pattern.

Yes. You love to intimidate and shut people up by claiming they are evil. That is a pattern. A tiresome one that makes me loath you immensely.

I noticed you seemed real honestly interested in that case of those two poor Bangladeshis...oh wait you don't give a fuck about them, you just bring it up to use as a weapon to attack people. Just like the Turkish stuff.

You should probably step back from the brink.  Try pretending, say, that Raz's posts are just some writings of a madman from the 19th century, that you can't directly respond to and shouldn't get emotionally involved in.  It might not work, but it can't hurt to try.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2016, 04:23:40 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 19, 2016, 04:06:10 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2016, 04:00:33 PM
But it's not about poverty. Younger sons had an economic interest in going and conquering new lands - the same motivation in crusades in Germany or the Norman invasion of England or Sicily. In addition very often they had sincerely held religious motivations and possibly socially too (the effect of Romances and the idea of chivalry).

If that were true, why then did these supposed second sons not settle in the lands that they supposedly conquered for economic interests?  The overwhelming majority of the first wave of Crusaders returned home after Jerusalem was taken and the political situation settled in the aftermath.

Yeah. I think it is a mistake to conflate all crusades and treat them the same. I think the first crusade was mainly religious, the third was mainly political, the fourth was mainly motivated by greed.

The Fourth was not supposed to be motivated by greed. But by that time the Italian City States had discovered that they were the primary beneficiaries of the Crusades and things had changed :P

But even the later Crusades were mostly motivated by religion. Even if St Louis had somehow won in Egypt he personally stood to gain little compared to what he was risking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Peaceful Christians brutally assaulted by evil black man during illegal prayer on street:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfR5sxJq7I
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Richard Hakluyt

Another grey area attack :

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/25/queensland-backpacker-stabbing-infatuation-with-mia-ayliffe-chung-investigated

There have been quite a few of these lately, as we all know. I don't think it is terrorism as such, more that Islamic terrorism is providing a convenient get-out clause for inadequates who don't feel that the world is going their way.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 25, 2016, 12:58:47 PM
Crossbow attack? What the? http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/3-dead-after-crossbow-attack-in-toronto-1.3044118

Weirdest part is the police stating that the killings are connected somehow to a separate incident involving a suspicious package.

Liep

2 Danish policemen was shot yesterday during a drug arrest, turns out the shooter is an ISIS supporter and now the media is talking about radicalism again. The last terror attack here was done by another lowlife drug dealer. 
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on September 01, 2016, 01:45:15 PM
2 Danish policemen was shot yesterday during a drug arrest, turns out the shooter is an ISIS supporter and now the media is talking about radicalism again. The last terror attack here was done by another lowlife drug dealer.

That's not true drug dealing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Brain on September 01, 2016, 02:40:20 PM
Quote from: Liep on September 01, 2016, 01:45:15 PM

That's not true drug dealing.

Yeah people should only deal drugs for a pure profit motive. Running your drug business to partially fund ISIS, that's just low.