News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Monitor For Work.

Started by mongers, August 03, 2016, 06:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I find myself needing a monitor for work, to enabled me to spend hours looking at spreadsheets, mathematical stuff and a little bit of web browsing. My various laptop screens don't hack it.

So I need something that's a good compromise between an easy/comfortable reading distance and not too huge a field of view.

What do you guys use, any suggestions?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Liep

Get a Dell, 20-22"-ish. They come in all price ranges and are in my experience very good. Mine's been working really well for 6 years now.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Dell Ultrasharp U2415 comes recommended from thewirecutter.com and from an excellent Danish monitor review site. It's a little larger than what I'm used to but I don't think it'll be too much.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on August 04, 2016, 04:02:26 AM
Get a Dell, 20-22"-ish. They come in all price ranges and are in my experience very good. Mine's been working really well for 6 years now.

Liep, thanks for that. 

Yeah 22in seems an ideal size, couldn't find a Dell in a hurry, so went for an Asus one instead. Thanks.

You're right about Dell, all of their kit I've bought still works years later.

DGuller

I'd say go for a 23 inch monitor.  I think that's the sweetspot, unless you have an unusual reading distance.  I've had a 27 inch monitor at work, and that was a bit over the top.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on August 04, 2016, 02:47:05 PM
I'd say go for a 23 inch monitor.  I think that's the sweetspot, unless you have an unusual reading distance.  I've had a 27 inch monitor at work, and that was a bit over the top.

Thanks for that, yeah I figured anything over 25-26 would be too much, in the end I went for a 22 inch, thought I'm pretty sure the slightly larger pixel pitch on 23-24inch monitors would have been as good if not a bit better, though the increased field of view might have been a bit too much?

mongers

Monitor arrived this morning, using it now, makes a big difference.  :blush:

I'll try it with some games this evening.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: mongers on August 05, 2016, 07:49:22 AM
Monitor arrived this morning, using it now, makes a big difference.  :blush:

I'll try it with some games this evening.

Windows tried to simulate the effect with the side-by-side arrangement, but dual monitors is still really a night and day difference.  If I had more room on my desk at work, I would pitch the productivity increase in doing that to my boss.
Experience bij!