Saudi Arabia to behead boy for political protest

Started by Hamilcar, July 31, 2016, 02:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I don't think Hillary should adopt Trump's positions on Islamism any more than she should adopt Bernie's positions on, well, almost anything. But it serves to push her from the default positions of the Democratic establishment, which are also dysfunctional.

Monoriu

I read a bit about travelling to Saudi Arabia and there is something quite surprising to me. 

QuoteEntry will be refused to citizens of Israel and to those who show stamps and/or visas from Israel.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Saudi_Arabia

So if I want to visit both Isreal and Saudi Arabia, I must do Saudi Arabia first.  Or I need two passports, the Canadian one for Israel and the UK one for Saudi Arabia etc. 

The Brain

When it comes to foreign policy the most harmful thing to come out of the GOP in a long time is the "we may or may not defend NATO allies" thing, IMHO.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on July 31, 2016, 02:44:21 PM
I read a bit about travelling to Saudi Arabia and there is something quite surprising to me. 

QuoteEntry will be refused to citizens of Israel and to those who show stamps and/or visas from Israel.

So if I want to visit both Isreal and Saudi Arabia, I must do Saudi Arabia first.  Or I need two passports, the Canadian one for Israel and the UK one for Saudi Arabia etc.

I have heard that Israel is very good about issuing a disposable entry permit, not stamping the passport, for exactly this reason.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2016, 02:49:10 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 31, 2016, 02:44:21 PM

I have heard that Israel is very good about issuing a disposable entry permit, not stamping the passport, for exactly this reason.
Less good lately for the very understandable reason that they really shouldn't have to do it.

It used to even worse though Mono. My dad was in the merchant navy for years and in the 70s especially before you docked in any Arab port you had to do a total search of the ship and throw out any Israeli products. In the case that customs inspected your ship even if it just had a jaffa orange you wouldn't be allowed to dock. I believe nowadays most countries are more pragmatic about it.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

When I went to the Soviet Union in the 1980s, they did this as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

That, and it was also the sort of thing that got your ass separated from the rest of the hostages and put in the "Best if Killed By: Now" pile.

OttoVonBismarck

I don't see a good move for the West in regard to Saudi Arabia. I think we should continue business as usual with them, if we have learned nothing from the Arab Spring it should be that the devil you know is often better than the devil you don't. I can't see any real outcome where Saudi Arabia doesn't become worse in every way in response to international pressure. If we destabilized the al-Saud regime evidence is any popular government the Saudi citizenry produced would be far more monstrous, and if we put the al-Saud family were to survive they'd probably become more authoritarian and worse in response to what would likely be a more tenuous hold on power (not dissimilar to Assad getting far worse in Syria than he was before the uprisings.)

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on July 31, 2016, 04:18:12 PM

When I went to the Soviet Union in the 1980s, they did this as well.

My uncle-in-law works in the merchant navy and told me Cuba used to do this in the 80s too (they might still do but he's not been there since).

Caliga

Cuba was willing to do it for Americans visiting in violation of the travel ban as recently as like 3 or 4 years ago.  Friends of mine from Kentucky went to Cuba on vacation using the 'go through Mexico first' trick.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Israel did it for me a couple years ago. I was sort of freaked out about getting an Israeli stamp since so many countries don't like it (I knew you could avoid getting it stamped, but was worried they would do so anyway), but when I handed over my passport and quickly started asking him not to stamp, he said, "don't worry at all, we don't stamp" and just inserted a transit card into the passport. I got the impression he would have done so even if I didn't ask.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 31, 2016, 06:40:41 PM
I don't see a good move for the West in regard to Saudi Arabia. I think we should continue business as usual with them, if we have learned nothing from the Arab Spring it should be that the devil you know is often better than the devil you don't. I can't see any real outcome where Saudi Arabia doesn't become worse in every way in response to international pressure. If we destabilized the al-Saud regime evidence is any popular government the Saudi citizenry produced would be far more monstrous, and if we put the al-Saud family were to survive they'd probably become more authoritarian and worse in response to what would likely be a more tenuous hold on power (not dissimilar to Assad getting far worse in Syria than he was before the uprisings.)

I think the best move on Saudi Arabia would be to tell them that the American public cares about things like beating women for driving, and unless they find a way to reform themselves and transition to a more modern world view, continued American support can not be guaranteed.

The exact same thing should be said to Israel, about policy on the West Bank.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2016, 09:54:18 PM

I think the best move on Saudi Arabia would be to tell them that the American public cares about things like beating women for driving, and unless they find a way to reform themselves and transition to a more modern world view, continued American support can not be guaranteed.

Somehow I have the feeling that the US government already had these conversations with the respective parties, and they didn't produce the desired changes. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on July 31, 2016, 10:39:11 PM
Somehow I have the feeling that the US government already had these conversations with the respective parties, and they didn't produce the desired changes.

I would argue that in fact Saudi Arabia has already engaged in noticeable reforms and changes in policy.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2016, 09:54:18 PM

Then Saudi Arabia will do exactly the same as Israel: turn toward another ally.

It's not like China and Russia don't want Saudi oil.

It's a little too late for that, especially for Israel.  That country will keep expanding until there is no more Palestine but Gaza, and then, they'll make their lives so miserable that they'll leave by themselves.  It would have been effective in the early 2000s, when there were no alternatives for Israel.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.