News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Getting a New Phone

Started by alfred russel, July 28, 2016, 04:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

So I badly need a new phone. I have a smart phone, but it is one that you can type on a keypad that slides out behind the screen. It is also old. I'm something of a technophobe and it is fine for me, but I've been told it is embarrassing, and I've been made fun of. I don't think it was impressing ladies, and that was before the screen spiderwebbed after I dropped it a month or two ago.

So I just want a phone that isn't embarrassing and can make calls and get me on the internet. I prefer an unlocked phone for travelling and flexibility. I don't want to pay much for a phone plan because I don't use much data and feel as though I'm getting taken advantage of (I pay ~$70 / month).

My employer gives me spot bonuses that I can spend at a company store. Right now I have a bit over $2k in them. The problem is that there is nothing I want to buy there, but they just got a bunch of versions of unlocked iPhones. I guess this is a good option? Is there a version I should get or avoid? Does it make sense to get an unlocked iPhone and just get a shitty data plan somewhere?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2016, 04:16:52 PM
So I badly need a new phone. I have a smart phone, but it is one that you can type on a keypad that slides out behind the screen. It is also old. I'm something of a technophobe and it is fine for me, but I've been told it is embarrassing, and I've been made fun of. I don't think it was impressing ladies, and that was before the screen spiderwebbed after I dropped it a month or two ago.

So I just want a phone that isn't embarrassing and can make calls and get me on the internet. I prefer an unlocked phone for travelling and flexibility. I don't want to pay much for a phone plan because I don't use much data and feel as though I'm getting taken advantage of (I pay ~$70 / month).

My employer gives me spot bonuses that I can spend at a company store. Right now I have a bit over $2k in them. The problem is that there is nothing I want to buy there, but they just got a bunch of versions of unlocked iPhones. I guess this is a good option? Is there a version I should get or avoid? Does it make sense to get an unlocked iPhone and just get a shitty data plan somewhere?

Search me AR,  you lost me at the cellphone as a status symbol, I know that's not your fault or intent, but as you say you old one wasn't impressing the ladies; a few weeks back I bought a cellphone for $7-8, so don't listen to me.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Mongers, I'm sort of with you. But if I'm going to be judged negatively for having a $7 or $8 functional phone that would meet my needs, I'll probably just spend a bit more to get a socially acceptable one.

It isn't like buying a mercedes.

I'm a sheep. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

lustindarkness

How about a Get Smart Shoe Phone?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Phillip V

Grey Fox

Find out who will help you with tech support; a friend, coworker? Ask them for what to buy & buy that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2016, 08:37:30 AM
Find out who will help you with tech support; a friend, coworker? Ask them for what to buy & buy that.

I went this route. Ordered an iPhone 6.

I texted this to a friend of mine that accuses me of being a dinosaur. His reply, "welcome to the present". Then, "they are coming out with an iPhone 7 in september" followed by "wait you got an iPhone 6? you know the current technology is the 6s?"

Fuck technology. All I want from my phone is to talk, text, and surf websites like cnn, espn and languish.

Liep

Quote from: alfred russel on July 29, 2016, 12:58:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2016, 08:37:30 AM

I went this route. Ordered an iPhone 6.

I texted this to a friend of mine that accuses me of being a dinosaur. His reply, "welcome to the present". Then, "they are coming out with an iPhone 7 in september" followed by "wait you got an iPhone 6? you know the current technology is the 6s?"

Fuck technology. All I want from my phone is to talk, text, and surf websites like cnn, espn and languish.

Iphone 6 will do that just fine.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk