Timmay Fails Again! - Maybe we're all Extraterrestrials.

Started by mongers, August 28, 2013, 09:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Gotta say some of the twitter comments on this photo are just :bleeding: :bleeding:

:rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on August 28, 2013, 09:15:27 PM
He keeps missing 'his stories' nowadays; seriously there's something wrong with lad, it's like he's now gotta social life or something.   :rolleyes:

Earth life 'may have come from Mars'
By Simon Redfern
Reporter, BBC News, Florence

Life may have started on Mars before arriving on Earth, a major scientific conference has heard.

New research supports an idea that the Red Planet was a better place to kick-start biology billions of years ago than the early Earth was.

The evidence is based on how the first molecules necessary for life were assembled.

Details of the theory were outlined by Prof Steven Benner at the Goldschmidt Meeting in Florence, Italy.

Scientists have long wondered how atoms first came together to make up the three crucial molecular components of living organisms: RNA, DNA and proteins.

The molecules that combined to form genetic material are far more complex than the primordial "pre-biotic" soup of organic (carbon-based) chemicals thought to have existed on the Earth more than three billion years ago, and RNA (ribonucleic acid) is thought to have been the first of them to appear.

Simply adding energy such as heat or light to the more basic organic molecules in the "soup" does not generate RNA. Instead, it generates tar.

RNA needs to be coaxed into shape by "templating" atoms at the crystalline surfaces of minerals.

The minerals most effective at templating RNA would have dissolved in the oceans of the early Earth, but would have been more abundant on Mars, according to Prof Benner.

This could suggest that life started on the Red Planet before being transported to Earth on meteorites, argues Prof Benner, of the Westheimer Institute of Science and Technology in Gainesville, US.

The idea that life originated on Mars and was then transported to our planet has been mooted before. But Prof Benner's ideas add another twist to the theory of a Martian origin for the terrestrial biosphere.

Rest of interesting article here, with more on the chemistry:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23872765

Well yeah, you don't watch ancient aliens on HC.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2016, 04:33:47 PM
I can't make out what land mass that is.

North America. You can see the Baja penninsula clearly.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on July 27, 2016, 04:16:17 PM
Doesn't need a new thread so posting in this one.

Dark Side Of The Moon ?

That is brilliant.
Nice animation on the nasa site too
██████
██████
██████

Hamilcar

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.