News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pokémon Go

Started by garbon, July 25, 2016, 07:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Not sure what the deal is.

Back in my day, I used to see strange creatures that no one else could see too. Except I didn't need a phone...well, other than to call my dealer.

thank you...I do an encore at 6.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Not big on the way quantity over quality is the way forward. My poor bulbasaur is stuck on cp 40 whilst my bat army flourishes

Freaking zubat
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Freaking zubat indeed.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Any article that starts with 'Pokémon Go players outraged'...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/01/pokemon-go-maps-shut-down-game-update-tracking

QuotePokémon Go players outraged after maps shut down by game update
Sites and apps that allow trainers to locate specific Pokémon have been shut down after game update removes nearby tracking

Pokémon Go players are up in arms after an update to the game removed a feature that helped locate nearby Pokémon and forced third-party maps of Pokémon locations to shut down.

The game's first big update changed a variety of things about the app, including adding the ability to alter your trainer's appearance, tweaking the dynamics of curveballs, and changing part of the way gym battles work and improving the way users transfer unwanted Pokémon to professor Willow.

But the change with the biggest impact for the majority of players has been the removal of the footprint distance readings from the nearby Pokémon tracker. At the same time, services including Pokévision, which allowed players to spot where individual Pokémon were likely to pop up, have been forced to shut down.

Pokémon Go Reddit user Chopkins9 said: "I looked for 15 minutes with no luck and [the Pokémon] disappeared, now I'm quitting Pokémon Go. What's the point of this game without tracking?"

Hopps56 added: "This is becoming more frustrating then fun as the days go on ... If it wasn't for having to catch them all, I would of left this game when the tracking first went down hill."

"It was great in the early stages of the game, being able to track down Pokémon you didn't have, and evolving them. Now it's like, oh another Drowzee. Great. If I get a few more I can evolve a Hypno with maybe 10 CP higher than the best Hypno I have right now, which is one of a dozen Hypnos I've already evolved. It's just tedious grinding with no real payoff," said ThomasSirveaux.

"Pokémon Go went from a game that I go out to play, to a game I play when I'm out, to a game I never play," said Oxgmum, which was popular with the Reddit Pokémon Go community, gaining over 2,500 up votes.

Pokémon Go became an overnight sensation, attracting millions of players while launching in just Australia, New Zealand and the US. It was expanded to Europe a week later, and the home of Pokémon Japan, a week after that. The game has seen more than 100m downloads, and crowds flock to the streets jamming up bridges, roads and even walking into the sea in search of the game's illusive creatures.

How long Pokémon Go hysteria can last remains to be seen, but it has had a real-world impact on the businesses and areas frequented by players. Pubs, cafes, shops and public spaces have hopped on the bandwagon, encouraging players to spend time in their areas.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Fireblade was ranting about it all weekend.  :lol:

Martinus

Incidentally, I still think that Pokemon Go is the first stage of some nefarious super villain plot.

Josquius

Several I know are uninstalling already
██████
██████
██████

fromtia

I have been playing and thoroughly enjoying it. I knew a tiny bit about pokemon from my sons friends or from people building pixelart pokemon on minecraft servers, but I have not played any prior iteration. My girlfriend has been all about it for months, so we started playing together on the games release. Walking around downtown where I love with large numbers of friendly excited people playing the same game is more than worth the price of admission. good times.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Sheilbh

It won't work properly on my shitty, already-hated phone <_< :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

HisMajestyBOB

It's kinda fun, especially when playing in a group.
Since I work in downtown DC, my short walk to the metro takes my past like 10 pokestops; more if I go out of my way. Makes restocking easy.  :D
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Savonarola

Team Rocket finally gets their comeuppance:

Police tase Florida man after refusing to leave park while playing Pokémon GO

Florida Man:  I choose you Pikachu!
Police Officer:  I choose you Taser!
ZOT!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Hate how eggs work. Have to keep your screen on and game open or it doesn't count movement. I've got 10km and still not hatched a 2er
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2016, 09:24:46 AM
Hate how eggs work. Have to keep your screen on and game open or it doesn't count movement. I've got 10km and still not hatched a 2er

I think they purposefully did that though as nothing in game works with screen off or in background.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

It seems to be working a bit better lately. Not that I'm playing too much lately.

Wonder if they'll ever fix gyms.
I get the impression  they deliberately made them the way they did as it means to hold a gym you need a gang of team members with high level pokemon to setup there.
Still. Would be nice if they'd do something like stop you attacking and failing  more than once in 24h
Confusing why the build gym level battles only allow 1 monster whilst assaulting allows 6.
██████
██████
██████