Shots fired in Munich mall - possibly several dead and injured

Started by Malicious Intent, July 22, 2016, 12:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

A heist eh? They were holding up a McDonalds?

Seems to be lots of rumors being tossed around in the short term.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

God, apparently a 15 year old girl died after being in intensive care in hospital :(
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2016, 02:51:02 PM

Well, fast food places do get robbed occasionally, though I'm not sure why you would commit an armed robbery of a fast food restaurant;  if I was going to risk the prison sentence that armed robbery carries, I'd want to hit something more lucrative.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 22, 2016, 03:08:31 PM
God, apparently a 15 year old girl died after being in intensive care in hospital :(

Ah fuck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: dps on July 22, 2016, 03:08:39 PM

Well, fast food places do get robbed occasionally, though I'm not sure why you would commit an armed robbery of a fast food restaurant;  if I was going to risk the prison sentence that armed robbery carries, I'd want to hit something more lucrative.

"more lucrative" places usually have more security though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Is it true one of the gunmen shot himself in the head? Sky News was reporting this.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Hamilcar

The Munich police come out of this looking rather badly. Poor information management.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on July 22, 2016, 03:29:37 PM
Quote from: dps on July 22, 2016, 03:08:39 PM

"more lucrative" places usually have more security though.

True, and even ones that don't might be a more difficult target.  Having worked in both, I can tell you that even a fairly low-volume discount department store is a much more lucrative target than a restaurant, and there's really not much more security, but OTOH, in most fast food places it would be much easier to see and control everyone in the building.  Trying an armed robbery in a department store, there would be just too many people around that you might not even be able to see.

I remember reading about a particularly nasty armed robbery of a fast food restaurant several years ago.  IIRC it was a Wendys in NYC.  Apparently the robber or robbers came inside right at closing time, and forced everyone in the store into the freezer, then shot all of them in the back of the head, execution style.  You couldn't really pull something like that off in a Walmart or Target or K-Mart.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Legbiter on July 22, 2016, 03:36:23 PM
Is it true one of the gunmen shot himself in the head? Sky News was reporting this.

There have been a few reports to this direction, the first appearing at around 21:00 GMT.

Police has just confirmed that a male corpse has been found close to the mall. Not clear if dead attacker or another victim.

mongers

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 22, 2016, 03:38:38 PM
The Munich police come out of this looking rather badly. Poor information management.

Maybe they don't want to give to much information to the terrorists about what the police are doing?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malicious Intent

Quote from: mongers on July 22, 2016, 04:03:39 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on July 22, 2016, 03:38:38 PM

Maybe they don't want to give to much information to the terrorists about what the police are doing?

That's what they have said. They asked news networks to take down pictures and videos of ongoing police activity. The spectre of 1972, I guess.

Sheilbh

Also Nice. There were very graphic videos on Twitter very shortly after the attack. Not sure it helps anyone.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Solmyr on July 22, 2016, 01:23:13 PM
The attacker was apparently shouting that he is German. And it's exactly 5 years since the Breivik attack.

I just saw that video. One attacker walked on top of a parking garage, gun in hand. A nearby resident threw (partially racist) insults on him from his window. Another resident filmed the scene. The attacker spoke fluent German, claimed to have been born here. I can't make out all he's saying, thanks to the shouting resident, but he also says something about "Hartz IV" (a low form of social assistance for long term unemployed) and "Behandlung" (treatment).

http://www.focus.de/politik/videos/nach-toedlichen-schuessen-in-muenchen-ich-bin-deutscher-anwohner-filmte-streitgespraech-mit-einem-der-attentaeter_id_5755674.html

Richard Hakluyt

This would be incredibly unlikely in a European context. Using weapons, because it is so rare, is a guaranteed way of getting caught. It is simply not good business. This has to be a nutjob of some sort, Islamist or neo-Nazi time will tell.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".