Shots fired in Munich mall - possibly several dead and injured

Started by Malicious Intent, July 22, 2016, 12:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

So.... I guess laws on deactivating weapons need tightening?
I wonder how the deactivation works.  Must leave enough gun intact if it can be reactivated like so.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

The perpetrator went to Winnenden last year to have a look at the school where Germany's worst school shooting happened in 2009 and the police thinks that he prepared for his own amok run since about that time. Together with books on other amok runs and this happening on the fifth anniversary of Breivik's amok run the police is certain that he was inspired by other amok runs, not by the recent islamist terror. He was in psychatric treatment (two month stationary last year) and had "social phobias".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 24, 2016, 06:16:54 AM
Süddeutsche Zeitung claims that the gun was a reactivated theater weapon from Slovakia and was bought via the "Darknet".

According to the police, reactivated weapons are the most common illegal firearms used in armed crimes in Germany, as new handguns are a lot rarer and highly expensive on the black market (several thousand Euro for the simplest pistol).

What does reactivated weapon mean?

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2016, 12:51:03 PM
Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 24, 2016, 06:16:54 AM
Süddeutsche Zeitung claims that the gun was a reactivated theater weapon from Slovakia and was bought via the "Darknet".

According to the police, reactivated weapons are the most common illegal firearms used in armed crimes in Germany, as new handguns are a lot rarer and highly expensive on the black market (several thousand Euro for the simplest pistol).

What does reactivated weapon mean?
a weapon that was previously deactivated, then activated again.
;)

I guess it's a weapon for collectors, where the firing mechanism must be removed from the gun.  Then you buy said parts somewhere else and with a little thinkering you got yourself a working firearm.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1537748/Deactivated-guns-made-lethal-in-four-minutes.html

There are sites selling antique weapons, like muskets, where the firing mechanism is removed.  I think I could legally posess such a weapon in Canada, but I'm not too sure about the importing part.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Deactivating in the US means the receiver and sometimes bolt have been torch cut. Unless you can fabricate a receiver you can't 'reactivate" it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Do we need a terrorism in Germany mega thread or shall we just continue to post in this one?

Because an Afghan attacked and killed a woman in Germany today, though that maybe be behavioural/'domestic' in nature.

And a bomb has just gone off in a bar in Ansbach nr Nuremberg injuring and killing people.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR about a 21 year old Syrian refugee involved in an attack in Germany.  Not sure which attack that was referring to.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2016, 07:27:51 PM
Heard on NPR about a 21 year old Syrian refugee involved in an attack in Germany.  Not sure which attack that was referring to.

Oops my bad, that was the machete attack that killed the woman and injured others, not clear if it was terrorism yet; I in error referred to him as Afghan.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 24, 2016, 05:06:10 PM
Deactivating in the US means the receiver and sometimes bolt have been torch cut. Unless you can fabricate a receiver you can't 'reactivate" it.

Maybe they used a clip instead of a magazine.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2016, 07:43:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 24, 2016, 05:06:10 PM

Maybe they used a clip instead of a magazine.

:mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on July 24, 2016, 07:48:53 PM

Ansbach, Germany, rocked by explosion

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/24/world/ansbach-germany-blast/index.html

Mentioned 45 minutes ago, from reports it could have been a suicide attack and the sole death appears to be bomber, though others injured.

HVC

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2016, 07:34:10 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2016, 07:27:51 PM

Oops my bad, that was the machete attack that killed the woman and injured others, not clear if it was terrorism yet; I in error referred to him as Afghan.
apparently he killed his pregnant polish girlfriend and a bystander then was run over by some random guy in his bmw
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Yeah, you'd think if there was one country minorities wouldn't want to miss with it would be Germany ;)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.