Saudi Arabia to behead boy for political protest

Started by Hamilcar, July 31, 2016, 02:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2016, 06:20:09 AM
One thing I don't understand.  If those Saudi funded schools in the west are such huge problems, what stops the western governments from dealing with them directly?  Arrest and expel the personnel, shut down the schools, infiltrate them, put them on watch lists, refuse to grant them land or licences, give them bureaucratic red tape hell etc.  There are lots of ways to deal with this kind of problem. 

Uh, because we have the rule of law in the West;  most of that stuff wouldn't fly here.  Doesn't apply to other countries, but from the US Constitution:  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof[b/]".

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 04, 2016, 11:47:40 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 04, 2016, 11:37:41 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 04, 2016, 10:38:06 AM
1st amendment would cause legal problems in the US though.

Well, remember what Trump said, the Constitution isn't a suicide pact.
What argument was he trying to make?  That he's more effective than the Constitution?

Immigration.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

In Germany banning foreign governments from funding schools should be constitutional as our constitution says stuff like "The entire school system shall be under the supervision of the state." or "The freedom of teaching shall not release any person from allegiance to the constitution."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on August 04, 2016, 12:02:29 PM
Uh, because we have the rule of law in the West;  most of that stuff wouldn't fly here.  Doesn't apply to other countries, but from the US Constitution:  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof[b/]".

Mono should know that.  HK had rule of law as well until a couple years ago it was replaced by rule of Xi.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Zanza on August 04, 2016, 12:10:49 PM
In Germany banning foreign governments from funding schools should be constitutional as our constitution says stuff like "The entire school system shall be under the supervision of the state." or "The freedom of teaching shall not release any person from allegiance to the constitution."

We should start by banning DITIB.  <_<

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 04, 2016, 12:25:57 PM
Quote from: dps on August 04, 2016, 12:02:29 PM

Mono should know that.  HK had rule of law as well until a couple years ago it was replaced by rule of Xi.

He said, Xi said.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney