News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Maladict, July 13, 2016, 11:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 22, 2016, 07:21:40 PM
In keeping with my decision to focus my comp sci job-seeking efforts toward computer security, I finally updated the Win 7 desktop to Win 10 last night.  Night and day.

In a good way?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: mongers on November 22, 2016, 08:42:04 PM
In a good way?

Yes.  My hand was tipped partly because my install of 7 had degraded to the point where it was taking 10 minutes per cold boot.  Knowing that the weak point of my current build is the lack of SSD (C is a 500GB 7200 RPM, D is a 2 TB 5400 RPM), I suspected (rightly, in this case) poor memory management was causing massive disk thrash.  Turns out after doing an upgrade install of 10 (which left virtually all my programs in place), even with the extra space taken up with the Windows.old folder, the disk thrashing issue all but disappeared.
Experience bij!

mongers

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 24, 2016, 11:27:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 22, 2016, 08:42:04 PM
In a good way?

Yes.  My hand was tipped partly because my install of 7 had degraded to the point where it was taking 10 minutes per cold boot.  Knowing that the weak point of my current build is the lack of SSD (C is a 500GB 7200 RPM, D is a 2 TB 5400 RPM), I suspected (rightly, in this case) poor memory management was causing massive disk thrash.  Turns out after doing an upgrade install of 10 (which left virtually all my programs in place), even with the extra space taken up with the Windows.old folder, the disk thrashing issue all but disappeared.

DSB thanks for that, I'm experience the same sort of problems, my Windows7 install, despite being a relatively little used machine, mainly the odd steam game and video editing, is grinding somewhat; maybe I'll take the plunge and go Windows 10, though now I'll have to pay for it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

I still deal with Windows 7 Enterprise at work.  :bleeding:

Then again, considering the level of computer literacy and competency at the US Government, it might as well be Windows 95.  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2016, 04:03:49 PM
considering the level of computer literacy

I once had a colleague replying to an email that there must be something wrong with the Excel sheet I sent him, because instead of dates he would only see "########" in a column.

Turned out he didn't know this would happen if the column is too narrow and he just needed to resize it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

I still deal with Windows 7 Enterprise at work.  :bleeding:

Then again, considering the level of computer literacy and competency at the US Government, it might as well be Windows 95.  :lol:

One of the townships here in druggie land still uses their 486's. INSERT DOS DISKETTE
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2016, 04:47:52 PM
considering the level of computer literacy

I once had a colleague replying to an email that there must be something wrong with the Excel sheet I sent him, because instead of dates he would only see "########" in a column.

Turned out he didn't know this would happen if the column is too narrow and he just needed to resize it.

It used to amaze me how federal employees making $140,000 a year could manage to go their entire professional careers without learning how to turn off the "Comments" in Track Changes in Word. 

And then I worked with them, and no, it doesn't surprise me at all anymore.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2016, 12:54:50 PM
It used to amaze me how federal employees making $140,000 a year could manage to go their entire professional careers without learning how to turn off the "Comments" in Track Changes in Word. 

Are they all wizened old bats?  Because GS-15, Step 10 is $133k before taxes...
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 27, 2016, 11:15:39 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2016, 12:54:50 PM

Are they all wizened old bats?  Because GS-15, Step 10 is $133k before taxes...

A shitload of much-closer-to-the-end-than-the-beginning GS-14s and GS-15s, yeah.