And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Women Are More Depressed Than Men

Started by Hamilcar, July 06, 2016, 03:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on July 12, 2016, 02:47:09 PM
I don't understand your confusion.

some types, regardless of gender, obsess over "their way" in whatever area. meri's complaint seems to have been that women are particularly controlling at home and at work because men are expected to just let women do their thing. I don't think this is true. I think some members of both genders are more controlling or less controlling based on whatever factors that are irrelevant to gender.

You just happened to choose the one part of the domestic sphere the man is supposed to rule like a king :P

The home, like what color to paint the walls and shit, is the thing the woman is traditionally supposed to rule over and we are generally expected to be subservient to her whims. Or at least were. I know times are changing.

Certainly there are control freaks abound though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 12, 2016, 01:56:43 PM
Alternatively, we can expect more productivity at home from men. :)

More than what?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on July 12, 2016, 03:29:33 PM

These days, it would be odd for someone to faint from surprise or shock - man or woman. In those stories, it is considered a perfectly normal occurrence.

Corseting may explain why women fainted more, but it can't explain why men fainted more.

My guess: it was at least in part merely a literary convention.

Culture-bound syndrome.  For reasons completely unknown to science and medicine, people in certain cultures get unique illnesses.  For instance, if I were to turn a fan on in my room and go to sleep, I'd be fine.  But if Yi did it, he'd die.  Fan death only seems to affect Koreans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2016, 12:49:32 PM
Anyway mentally ill men are more likely to go on a mass shooting so advantage: women.

They just drown their kids, poison spouses over several years or attack pregnant women to cut out their foetueses.  PLACENTAMON GO

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2016, 05:46:15 PM
Anyway mentally ill men are more likely to go on a mass shooting so advantage: women.

They just drown their kids, poison spouses over several years or attack pregnant women to cut out their foetueses.  PLACENTAMON GO

Bitches be crazy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2016, 02:26:25 PM

I think you mean the 1800s unless I really missed something about late 1900s America :P

D'oh!  :blush:

Yes, 1800s; 19th century.

QuoteI am actually quite interested in the topic. I read a bit about this and other women's health issues back in college and I just remembered the corset thing was particularly controversial. I have always had a thing for really serious research into the lives of the people and their issues.

This is a great book on stays and corsets from the time they were invented through to the early 1800s:
https://www.amazon.com/Stays-Body-Image-London-Staymaking/dp/1848930895/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1468367864&sr=1-7&keywords=Victorian+corset

This is a freebie on Amazon right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Health-clothing-constructed-accordance-physiological-ebook/dp/B00S6KZ33U/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1468367991&sr=1-7&keywords=corsets+and+health
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 12, 2016, 07:00:10 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2016, 05:46:15 PM

Bitches be crazy.

Female hysteria :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: LaCroix on July 12, 2016, 02:47:09 PM
I don't understand your confusion.

some types, regardless of gender, obsess over "their way" in whatever area. meri's complaint seems to have been that women are particularly controlling at home and at work because men are expected to just let women do their thing. I don't think this is true. I think some members of both genders are more controlling or less controlling based on whatever factors that are irrelevant to gender.

Yes, there are control freaks in both genders. However, at least in my sphere of friends, women are predominantly the ones who take over the home almost in its entirety. It may be from passivity by their husbands, or because they simply bulldoze their opinions to the front. I don't blame husbands for taking a back seat. Having seen how some of these women can be (and knowing how I can be even aware that it's a problem), it really is the path of least resistance for them.

These same women then go to the office and generally try the same thing there. There is no question that the bulk of the day-to-day decisions are made by the women on my team. The men generally just go along unless or until it's a major decision, one that they deem worth their time. Then, they expect to not only have a voice, but to have their voice count for two votes for every one the women have.

derspiess

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Who needs studies on why women are depressed. Just check out Languish. :P

:D

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

I can totally see you collecting those type of books.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess