Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

They're not going all the way to South Fucking America, man.  THINK

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2016, 05:00:17 PM

Isn't it closer than San Bernardino?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Well they didn't have to go anywhere to get to San Bernardino, they just had to appeal to some nutcases there.

Probably some nutcases in Brazil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2016, 05:05:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2016, 05:00:17 PM

Isn't it closer than San Bernardino?

Considering the state of sanitation down there, I sincerely doubt there would be any Department of Public Health employees nearby, even disgruntled ones.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2016, 05:09:36 PM
Well they didn't have to go anywhere to get to San Bernardino, they just had to appeal to some nutcases there.

Which was my point. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Ah, so we're going to to move the goalposts from "ISIS" to "ISIS wannabes and fags with hangups", gotcha.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2016, 05:10:26 PM

It's a stupid fucking point.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2016, 05:12:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2016, 05:10:26 PM

It's a stupid fucking point.

Right back at ya.

Habbaku

I saw a proposal from Christine Lagarde the other day suggesting that Athens be the permanent home of the Olympics instead of rotating it from city to city every four years.  I would be perfectly happy with that--it'd solve a lot of the problem of venue wastage at the very least.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on July 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
I saw a proposal from Christine Lagarde the other day suggesting that Athens be the permanent home of the Olympics instead of rotating it from city to city every four years.  I would be perfectly happy with that--it'd solve a lot of the problem of venue wastage at the very least.

Might help their economy.

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on July 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM

The IOC wouldn't. Playing off candidate cities against each other so the games get bigger and bigger every time (with all the money that comes with that) is their business model.

I agree the whole thing is going to crash at some point, though.

Monoriu

We won a gold medal in Atlanta, 1996 (sailing).  We thought it was a miracle.  We unexpectedly got a silver in Athens, 2004 (table tennis).  Then a Bronze in London, 2012 (cycling).  If the pattern continues, we won't win anything this time.  As per business as usual. 

But then, the girl who won the bronze in London is the reigning world champion in that particular type of indoor cycling race.  So our chances are actually higher than nil.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on July 02, 2016, 07:24:37 PM
We won a gold medal in Atlanta, 1996 (sailing).  We thought it was a miracle.  We unexpectedly got a silver in Athens, 2004 (table tennis).  Then a Bronze in London, 2012 (cycling).  If the pattern continues, we won't win anything this time.  As per business as usual. 

But then, the girl who won the bronze in London is the reigning world champion in that particular type of indoor cycling race.  So our chances are actually higher than nil.

She's a cutie too.  Hope she does well.