DSB's Computer Gets a New Lease on Life (And a New Thread)!

Started by DontSayBanana, June 28, 2016, 07:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

New CPU time!  Just upped from an AMD Phenom II X4 945T to an AMD FX-8350 Black Edition.  8 cores at 4 GHz, it's glorious.  But it's also been done for a reason.  I haven't been super-talkative about it, but I'm kinda into the VR thing that's been going on with the techies, have a Rift DK2, and the CPU was becoming the bottleneck- Oculus put out firmware that wouldn't let you install the runtime software without a CPU that supported SSE 4.2, so I had to go with a Bulldozer CPU or my Rift would basically be a $500 paperweight.

Today's episode brought to you by the knowledge that you shouldn't go cheap on a motherboard because you never know when you'll want to upgrade; I got lucky that there was still some life left in the selection of processors for an AM3+ socket.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 28, 2016, 07:48:34 PM
Today's episode brought to you by the knowledge that you shouldn't go cheap on a motherboard because you never know when you'll want to upgrade;
and people laugh at my hardware choices! ha! :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.