News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones 2

Started by Josquius, June 28, 2016, 04:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

For some random reason you've just been given a prominent position at HBO.
Game of Thrones is going to be over in 2 or 3 years and they really need something to take its place.
You've been given the task of making this something.

Assuming you are a master negotiator and can get any license you set your mind to... Which series could make for as good and successful a TV show as Game of Thrones?
Budgets are an issue. But they're of the millions per episode variety.
Key point here is on the successful; it needs some mainstream appeal, something that will appeal only to geeks need not apply.
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

not dune or generic fantasy like wheel of time

Hamilcar

Iain M Banks Culture novels. Either adaptation of the books (Use of Weapons!), or just use the setting.

Agelastus

Kearney's "The Monarchies of God" -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchies_of_God.

Love and Hate, Exploration and Religion, Deaths and Battles galore, magic and walls - and a major smoking gun regarding the central conflict.

Plus the money for the show might get Kearney to revise that last volume which stands out like a sore thumb in the sequence.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sophie Scholl

I still harbor dreams of a true to history series based on the American Revolution era or French and Indian War period.  I'd lose my mind with happiness if it were focused on the madness that was the Mohawk Valley during the Revolution.  Alas, there is no book series to base it on per se, just some really solid historical texts by Gavin Watt that cover the majority of the era. 

Barring that option, I'd go with a Silmarillion series.  I think it would lend itself to the longer format of a series as opposed to movies.  It's already been proven to be a money making franchise.  Throw in all the pretty people you could use for the plethora of elves, and it has profit and success written all over it.  I'm kind of surprised this isn't in development somewhere, especially with the success of GoT and the continued development of cgi and general acceptance and popularity of the genre.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 28, 2016, 06:32:09 PM
Barring that option, I'd go with a Silmarillion series.  I think it would lend itself to the longer format of a series as opposed to movies.  It's already been proven to be a money making franchise.  Throw in all the pretty people you could use for the plethora of elves, and it has profit and success written all over it.  I'm kind of surprised this isn't in development somewhere, especially with the success of GoT and the continued development of cgi and general acceptance and popularity of the genre.

I'd think you'd need more sex for it to be HBO?

In any case, I don't think the rights are available for any amount of money.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2016, 04:53:41 PM
For some random reason you've just been given a prominent position at HBO.
Game of Thrones is going to be over in 2 or 3 years and they really need something to take its place.
You've been given the task of making this something.

Assuming you are a master negotiator and can get any license you set your mind to... Which series could make for as good and successful a TV show as Game of Thrones?
Budgets are an issue. But they're of the millions per episode variety.
Key point here is on the successful; it needs some mainstream appeal, something that will appeal only to geeks need not apply.
Could be a Game of Thrones prequel.  The First Men arriving on Westeros, fighting the Children, the White Walkers.
Might be a bit too much like the last 2 seasons, though.  Same for Aegon's conquest.

I'd love to see a remake of Babylon 5, but that would fail to get mainstream appeal.

I don't really know, I don't have that much imagination.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2016, 06:36:24 PM

I'd think you'd need more sex for it to be HBO?

In any case, I don't think the rights are available for any amount of money.

:D

That was my first thought too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

I still harbor dreams of a true to history series based on the American Revolution era or French and Indian War period.  I'd lose my mind with happiness if it were focused on the madness that was the Mohawk Valley during the Revolution.  Alas, there is no book series to base it on per se, just some really solid historical texts by Gavin Watt that cover the majority of the era. 

I'd love that, but would that get mainstream appeal?  American Revolution, likely, something along the lines of North&South, portraying the difficulties of choosing a camp, albeit less sopy,  but The War of Conquest? I doubt it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grallon

The Second Apocalypse by Scott Bakker of course.  The last book in the second trilogy forming that cycle will be out in a week.

And so long as Christopher Tolkien lives, he will never sell the rights to the Silmarillion to anyone. 

Props for Agelastus who appreciated the tears of a Merduk Queen.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

11B4V

Black Company
Mistborn
Witcher

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

The Amber series.
The Uplift Wars
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

I don't think anything can top GoT.

I think S.M Stirling Dies the Fire (the emberverse) could work. It got the lite magic and the conflict.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_the_Fire

There are two series I think are absolutely awesome, but i don't know if the could work on TV.
Safehold  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safehold

Destroyermen. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroyermen

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"