The Pentagon's controversial plan to hire civilian experts as officers

Started by jimmy olsen, June 20, 2016, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on June 21, 2016, 01:27:25 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 21, 2016, 12:41:01 PM
I don't see this as a big deal.  In the USAF (and other services too, I bet), for medical officers, you can often come in at Major/Lt Col (O4-O6) rank, just by having the required education and a quickie not-even-OTS "here is how the military works and how to salute" course, and you're in working as a military doc.  Just do the same for cyber/programmers.

The hardest part will be that they still have to pass the fitness test.

The docs come in because they get their med school debts paid off.  What is the motive for a computer guy to join, even as an officer?

Yeah, I am trying to imagine how large the set of people might be who:

A> Have the skills needed, and
B> Want to work for the military, and
C> Only want to work for the military if they are actually soldiers.

Group A is not large.
Group B is a small fraction of B.
Group C is a very small fraction of B, I am guessing. Like maybe 5 people. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Maybe they should instead form penal battalions from all the Anonymous hackers caught in the act.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2016, 02:09:19 PM
That would make a great movie.

Then they had to play a soccer match against the camp guards, and Pele shows up...

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2016, 08:33:56 AM
I don't understand why they need military people for this - it makes no sense.

Just bring them in as civilians at G-whatever rank. Why do they think they will attract some person based on them getting an actual military rank rather than the current civilian working for the military structure that is already in place?

This, bring them in as GS-15, and there's also special pay bumps you can give people in addition. No reason for them to be given a commission, warrant, or enlistment. And plenty of reasons not to.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on June 21, 2016, 01:27:25 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 21, 2016, 12:41:01 PM
I don't see this as a big deal.  In the USAF (and other services too, I bet), for medical officers, you can often come in at Major/Lt Col (O4-O6) rank, just by having the required education and a quickie not-even-OTS "here is how the military works and how to salute" course, and you're in working as a military doc.  Just do the same for cyber/programmers.

The hardest part will be that they still have to pass the fitness test.

The docs come in because they get their med school debts paid off.  What is the motive for a computer guy to join, even as an officer?

Couldn't the military offer them the same? None of the guys applying are actually going to be selfmade millionaire college dropouts.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Is it possible right now for unformed personnel to take orders from civilians?  If so, I don't really see the point of the proposal.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2016, 06:58:24 PM
Is it possible right now for unformed personnel to take orders from civilians?  If so, I don't really see the point of the proposal.

Yes.  In fact, the entire military is under a civilian.  In the case of a military member working for a civilian, there will also be a separate military chain of command, for evals/fitreps, discipline, and that sort of thing, but the military chain of command is distinctly secondary when a member of the armed forces is assigned to a non-uniformed command.

I must admit that I don't see the point of this, either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 21, 2016, 06:55:10 PM
Couldn't the military offer them the same? None of the guys applying are actually going to be selfmade millionaire college dropouts.

You can already do that; you just start as an O-1.  Presumably the experts they want to commission as O-4s to O-6s have long since paid off their college debts (and if they haven't, who would want them?)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 21, 2016, 02:08:47 PM
Maybe they should instead form penal battalions from all the Anonymous hackers caught in the act.

The last two weeks of service take place in Iraq, where the whole unit is sent to capture an ISIS outpost.  Wave after wave of fat nerds wearing those stupid masks charging an enemy position.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 21, 2016, 06:55:10 PM

Well computer pros usually only have a bachelor's degree and typically did not get it at a private school so I would bet crippling student debts are not really the same issue they are with Doctors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2016, 08:26:38 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 21, 2016, 02:08:47 PM

The last two weeks of service take place in Iraq, where the whole unit is sent to capture an ISIS outpost.  Wave after wave of fat nerds wearing those stupid masks charging an enemy position.
:menace: