Bought a new monitor, now my speakers don't work.

Started by Admiral Yi, June 12, 2016, 07:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'm pretty sure I didn't unplug anything to the speakers.

New monitor comes with a HDMI cable, old one had VGN, does that make any difference?  Saved the VGN from the old monitor.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2016, 07:41:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I didn't unplug anything to the speakers.

New monitor comes with a HDMI cable, old one had VGN, does that make any difference?  Saved the VGN from the old monitor.

HDMI transmits audio over the same cable.  If you want to use the speakers, check your sound options and make sure that HDMI isn't selected as the primary sound source.  Or, if it's like my monitor, you can just plug the speakers straight into a headphone jack on the monitor itself.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

How do I check my sound options?  I went to control panel but it wasn't immediately obvious after 2 seconds of poking around.  I also tried plugging my speakers into the port on the monitor that fit it, but that didn't do anything.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2016, 10:59:31 PM
How do I check my sound options?  I went to control panel but it wasn't immediately obvious after 2 seconds of poking around.  I also tried plugging my speakers into the port on the monitor that fit it, but that didn't do anything.

Might have to check you graphic card option (usually available in down right corner). I had a similar problem when I switched to HDMI, spent several days trying different things until I found the setting to not send audio via HDMI.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2016, 02:37:33 AM
Might have to check you graphic card option (usually available in down right corner). I had a similar problem when I switched to HDMI, spent several days trying different things until I found the setting to not send audio via HDMI.

You mean that speaker icon next to the time and date?  I right click on it and get

Open Volume Mixer
Playback Devices
Recording Devices
Sounds
Volume Control Options

Grey Fox

Playback devices is what you are looking for. Which is one is the default?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2016, 12:54:26 PM
Playback devices is what you are looking for. Which is one is the default?

Was monitor, changed to speakers, that seems to have done it.

Thanks campaneros. :cheers: