Gay sauna in Luton, UK not extended a license: too close to a mosque

Started by Martinus, June 03, 2016, 04:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2016, 02:36:58 AM
I don't think it's unreasonable to require a license for this stuff, but it seems bizarre to me to let the neighbors have a say in something like this.

Yeah
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 03, 2016, 08:14:51 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2016, 08:10:49 PM
There's lots of restrictions on what you can do with your property, especially as a business, basically to protect the property rights of the people around you.

Far, far too many. It seems to me the primary rights to be protected should be those of the property owner, not the bitchy neighbors.

Besides, this seems overly prudish for a largely secular western european nation anyway. Even in baptist Texas they've got strip clubs next door to elementary schools.

The UK is not secular, not largely anyways.  :smarty: :frog: Though I thought Luton would not be as bad as Ulster/Northern Ireland.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 03, 2016, 08:19:05 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 03, 2016, 08:14:51 PM
Even in baptist Texas they've got strip clubs next door to elementary schools.

Really?  I'm skeptical, even in zoning-free Houston.  In most of America, sex-oriented businesses are subject to a lot of placement restrictions.  And these have been upheld by the Supreme Court against First Amendment challenges in a series of cases in the 70s.

For a while there was a sex store near city hall in my home town. I think it when out of business though as being on the main street there was a name and shame campaign or so I imagine.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

In my hometown some years ago there was a minor kerfuffle when someone realised that the big expensive new school they were building was next to a swingers club.
Since the swingers were there first they were allowed to remain.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

I don't think it's unreasonable to require a license for this stuff, but it seems bizarre to me to let the neighbors have a say in something like this.

Especially given that the business was there first.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 05:20:56 AM

The article notes that prior to withdrawal of the application, the council said it had no objections to the proposal.

Should people in a neighbourhood be unable to voice an opinion about something they may or may not like to have near them?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2016, 05:31:56 AM

The article notes that prior to withdrawal of the application, the council said it had no objections to the proposal.

Should people in a neighbourhood be unable to voice an opinion about something they may or may not like to have near them?

People can say what they like. The question is whether the authorities should listen to that voice. When people are coming into a neighbourhood, I think they are the ones who should adjust, not expect those already there to adjust.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 05:34:52 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2016, 05:31:56 AM

People can say what they like. The question is whether the authorities should listen to that voice. When people are coming into a neighbourhood, I think they are the ones who should adjust, not expect those already there to adjust.

I guess that is one way to stop gentrification then. I don't really see why first on the scene should have priority.

Martinus

Doesn't "gentrification" imply cultural and social improvement?

garbon

Not an improvement for people/businesses that get displaced.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2016, 03:26:46 AM
Does London have areas that are zoned purely commercial, or are businesses and residences all jumbled together?
It's all jumbled, there's no zoning anywhere in the UK I don't think. Local authorities will have development plans that may prioritise certain sorts of development in an area but planning applications would be, I think, allowed from anyone.

QuoteEspecially given that the business was there first.
Why do you think that?
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 12:56:28 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 03, 2016, 10:04:27 PMWould this be some terrible thing if the story was exactly the same except the people objecting were local Christians?

Of course. Seriously, are you really trying to attack my position from the angle that I am too soft on Christians?  :lol:

No, I think you have something of a hair trigger when it comes to Muslims.

I don't think the story has anything in it that I find objectionable.

Some guy wanted a sex shop permit? Good for him.

Some local people NIMBAed and objected?

They have a right to express their opinions.

Guy withdrew application because he decided it wasn't worth the exposure or whatever? His right.

Where is the terrible injustice here? I cannot find it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on June 04, 2016, 09:20:47 AM
I don't think the story has anything in it that I find objectionable.
Possible homophobia in the petition.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

The business was not there first, a different business was there.

They wanted a license to change the nature of the business, that makes it a different business, and certainly the people who live there have the right to express their opinion about the new business.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 04, 2016, 09:20:47 AM
They have a right to express their opinions.

Guy withdrew application because he decided it wasn't worth the exposure or whatever? His right.

Where is the terrible injustice here? I cannot find it.

I don't recall saying anything about anybody's rights. I was just saying going after a local business for doing something that is not going to impact you at all was a dick move. But of course you can express your opinion that all gays should be shot, doesn't make it something I should support just because it is your right to do it.

Last I checked I can disagree with people who are doing things that are within their rights. Seems like a strawman.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."