UK residents: question about buying a SIM card on holidays

Started by Barrister, June 02, 2016, 04:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on June 03, 2016, 03:18:33 AM
I guess. I'm quite happy to be disconnected while out and about, and I use a paper map and/or ask people if I need directions.
edit: and as garbon suggested, sometimes preloaded maps on my phone.

London is also covered by the app citymapper which is pretty good at being hooked into all of the public transport. That also lets you set up journeys and then save those details so that when offline you have a step-by-step route.

*actually really nice with mobile data as it keeps up-to-date on when buses are due to arrive and takes into account any deviations currently caused by traffic or tube delays to give you best route for that particular moment.

**I see that they've expanded to a lot of key cities now in NA and Europe. Even some Asia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on June 03, 2016, 03:30:17 AM
Well, it is up to BB but a SIM card offers true independence.  No need to ask for directions, just search on the phone.  A lot of the so-called free wifi is password protected, and they only tell you the password if you buy something.  Free wifi also tend to be slow or time-limited.  You want internet access anytime, anywhere?  Get the SIM card :contract:  I think we paid 30 pounds because we needed it for 2-3 weeks, and it also worked in Scandinavia.  If you use it for a shorter time period, the cost will go down. 

Oh, I'm not saying don't have a SIM - particularly if they want freedom to call home whenever, receive calls whenever.

That said virtually all of central london is stone's throw from a starbucks, mcdonalds or costa coffee (google map them, looks like an infestation over the city). All of which have legitimately free wifi. You don't have to talk to anyone to get it.

Plus there's also this app that works offline yet will still tell you tons of information about what might nearby you (attractions, restaurants, shops, etc.) - http://www.triposo.com/loc/London  Worked great when I went to Lisbon before I had my own smartphone (so used the companies in offline mode).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2016, 03:36:13 AM
You don't have to talk to anyone to get it.

:D
I sometimes wonder why people travel at all.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on June 03, 2016, 03:49:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2016, 03:36:13 AM
You don't have to talk to anyone to get it.

Well certainly I wouldn't come traveling to London in the hopes of chatting up strangers. How rude! :P

But really, I just wanted to note the ease of using wifi at those places. No need to get a password from an employee (who would then check if you've actually purchased something).

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2016, 04:52:53 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 03, 2016, 03:49:39 AM

Well certainly I wouldn't come traveling to London in the hopes of chatting up strangers. How rude! :P

But really, I just wanted to note the ease of using wifi at those places. No need to get a password from an employee (who would then check if you've actually purchased something).

I didn't mean you, but I also didn't want to single out mono  :)

Barrister

I'm certainly aware that free wi-fi is a thing, and many of the places and hotels we're staying at are supposed to come with wi-fi.  But remember that most of our trip is traipsing around the scottish highlands, so that little lifeline of cellular service is one I'm happy to pay 30 pounds for.

Mono thanks for confirming we should be able to get that done at the airport.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2016, 09:38:30 AM
But remember that most of our trip is traipsing around the scottish highlands, so that little lifeline of cellular service is one I'm happy to pay 30 pounds for.

Oh right, missed that part.

garbon

Maladict

Just found out about this. If affordable (depends on the country you're visiting) it could be a great deal. And certainly much easier.

http://www.bitebird.com/

garbon

Seems a bit pricey (paying for device and then whatever local data rates are) and doesn't allow you do make regular calls (only webcalls like FaceTime and whatsapp), no?

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2016, 06:07:24 AM
Seems a bit pricey (paying for device and then whatever local data rates are) and doesn't allow you do make regular calls (only webcalls like FaceTime and whatsapp), no?

I didn't look at prices much, but yeah it seems like it's more about convenience and security.
Not being able to make regular calls should not be much of an issue these days, though.