News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Raz needs a smartphone.

Started by Razgovory, June 02, 2016, 02:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

The phone I have (a ten dollar go-phone) just isn't cutting it anymore.  The number "2" doesn't seem to work.  I thought I'd make the jump to a smart phone.  Ideally a fairly cheap one.  Raz is taking suggestions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2016, 02:34:18 PM
The phone I have (a ten dollar go-phone) just isn't cutting it anymore.  The number "2" doesn't seem to work.  I thought I'd make the jump to a smart phone.  Ideally a fairly cheap one.  Raz is taking suggestions.

iPhone. -_-

But honestly if your criteria is "a fairly cheap one" go down to your retailer of choice and see what kind of deals they have.  You can almost certainly get a free phone with a two or three year contract.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Get one of the Windows 8/8.1 Lumia, I've got a cheap $100 4G payg and it does most things well. User interface is good!

No doubt they'll be discounted as Microsoft is scalling back it's mobile ambition.

Don't get a contract, unless you really feel you need to burn loads of data and spend half the day on the phone.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I probably won't need it much.   I may be getting a job soon, working the night-shift at a motel.  So I'll need a way to contact people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on June 02, 2016, 04:00:07 PM

Get one of the Windows 8/8.1 Lumia, I've got a cheap $100 4G payg and it does most things well. User interface is good!

No doubt they'll be discounted as Microsoft is scalling back it's mobile ambition.

Don't get a contract, unless you really feel you need to burn loads of data and spend half the day on the phone.

You know, I was going to say "Whatever you do, don't get a Blackberry or Windows phone", but thought "Nah, surely that doesn't need to be said".

The awesome thing about a smartphone are the apps.  Buts Windows or BB hardly have any.  Whatever you chose, make sure it's Android or iPhone.

And phones are somewhat different in the US than the UK (as I understand it).  Almost all phones are on contract.  Raz could certainly get a contract phone that has more modest talk and data limits.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Phillip V

Are you limited to these phones:  https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/prepaidphones.html

Josquius

Galaxy 5.
Better than the 6.
No idea about the 7 except that it is expensive.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.