Small Or Nifty News Items Tim Missed, But Which Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Started by mongers, June 02, 2016, 06:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

The dagger is exceptional because of its composition and its high manufacturing quality, researchers say

QuoteTutankhamun's knife was 'made from meteorite iron'
2 June 2016

A dagger entombed alongside the mummy of Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun was made with iron that came from a meteorite, researchers say.

The weapon was one of a pair of daggers discovered by British archaeologist Howard Carter in 1925 within the burial wrappings of the teenaged king.

The origin of its unrusted iron blade has baffled scientists because such metalwork was rare in ancient Egypt.

Tutankhamun was mummified more than 3,300 years ago.

Italian and Egyptian researchers used "a non-invasive X-ray technique" to confirm the composition of the iron without damaging it, according to a study published in the journal of Meteoritics and Planetary Science.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36432635
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2016, 07:02:58 AM
And yet it merited its own thread.

I guess I could take the Timmay approach and post the next item in a thread entitled "Small Or Nifty News Items Tim Missed, But Which Don't Merit Their Own Pt2", if you wish?

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Brazen

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

KRonn